Eire09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HP SIM configuration with ESX 3.5

Hi,

I'm having a problem configuring HP SIM with ESX 3.5

Steps taken so far:

1. Downloaded the agent and copied hpmgmt-8.0.0-vmware3x.tgz to the /home directory on the ESX host

2. Type tar -zxvf hpmgmt-8.0.0-vmware3x.tgz to unzip the file

3. From the home directory I ran the following ./installvm800.sh -- install

4. I went through the install & put in the IP of the HP SIM Server, enabled port 2381, 280,

5. Selected No to 'Do you wish to use an existing snmpd.conf

6. Ran this file perl /usr/local/hp/hpSMHSSetup.pl

7. Ran esxcfg-firewall -q and port 2381 and 280 are enabled

8. Tested logging onto HP host via IE. and this worked successfully

So this is where I am at now. I manually added the ESX host to HP SIM however it is just moinioring its IP. If I pulled out a NIC or power supply it doesn't pick this up.

Is there anything else that needs to be done on the ESX host or the HP SIM Server that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
thehyperadvisor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can also go into the HP homepage -> settings -> snmp configuration then make sure that you have this:

rocommunity "whatever string you use for insight"
trapsink "insight manager servername"

without the quotes of course.

You should can also check the log from the homepage and check the Status of the system areas like power.

Lastly, try using the latest version of the management agent - 8.1.1

hope this helps - thehyperadvisor.com

VCP3,4,5, VCAP4-DCA, vExpert hope this helps - http://www.thehyperadvisor.com If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

When you run hplog -v from the cli do you see events matching your actions? By which I mean do you see the power supply failures.

Also have you allowed outbound SNMP 162 traffic on your firewall?

thehyperadvisor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can also go into the HP homepage -> settings -> snmp configuration then make sure that you have this:

rocommunity "whatever string you use for insight"
trapsink "insight manager servername"

without the quotes of course.

You should can also check the log from the homepage and check the Status of the system areas like power.

Lastly, try using the latest version of the management agent - 8.1.1

hope this helps - thehyperadvisor.com

VCP3,4,5, VCAP4-DCA, vExpert hope this helps - http://www.thehyperadvisor.com If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
bitsorbytes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Your not using the ESX 3.5 verions of the HP agents. For ESX 3.5 you need to use agents 8.1 and above. The latest is 8.1.1, you can download it here

HP Management Agents for VMware ESX Server 3.5.x

0 Kudos