VMware Cloud Community
vmPUNK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HP SIM 8.2.0 for U4 - read the readme file

For all of you out there that want to keep your job, read the readme.txt file before putting in 820 (btw only one supported for u4).

Here is what you need to know:

1 - Execute the script PreInstall_Setup.sh.

NOTE: This script will request a reboot of the system.

The reboot must be done to provide a workaround for a system hang that has been seen intermittently on installation.

Choose not to do it and ASR will help you reboot right after.

Have a nice day Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

yes, it's good to read the readme notes, but also you shouldn't be doing anything, especially installing agents that could "taint" your kernel, without putting your ESX Host(s) in maintenance mode. If in maintenance mode a reboot should not matter.

0 Kudos
vmPUNK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Maintenance mode or not, a lot of people will not be used to rebooting hosts for sim agent installations, especially when they come to you from hangs/ASR.

0 Kudos
thickclouds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone know why they require the reboot? What are they doing different from previous versions of the agent?

http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/chuckgman

Charlie Gautreaux vExpert http://www.thickclouds.com
0 Kudos
BenConrad
Expert
Expert

I'm not 100% sure, the release notes say it's a "workaround for a system hang". In past release notes there have been notes about the server resetting itself via ASR if there are any pending hardware/environment issues. We turn off ASR as part of the build process. we've not had any issues with ASRs while updating to any of the HP agents.

This is what I did when upgrading from 8.1.x to 8.2.0:

1) Maintenance mode

2) stopped pegasus '/etc/init.d/pegasus stop'

3) modified the installvm820.sh so it does not prompt for questions when using --uninstall

4) ./installvm820.sh --uninstall

5) ./installvm820.sh --silent --inputfile ./hpmgmt.conf

6) Install U4 ESXUpdates

7) Reboot

The only issue I see is that the ipmi drivers fail with 'unable to find any system interfaces(s)' on boot. My server does not support IPMI.

Ben

0 Kudos
timmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Has anybody been able to get the SIM installed via a silent install using hpmgmt.conf file? There appears to be a thread here saying the silent install of HP SIM works

I am using HP Altiris RDP (latest verison 6.9 / 3.9). Deploying ESX 3.5 U3 and now U4. This is a bare bones install from scratch. Have contacted HP. They are not able to help. I have used the hpmgmt.conf sample. My RDP script installs ESX, copies over the 8.2 version of SIM. Extracts it. Stops pegasus. Does the ./installvm820.sh script using the --silent --inputfile ./hpmgmt.conf.

System reboots to ensure services including snmp start...no worky worky. Web page doesnt load. It's not that big of a deal to load the SIM manually on each server but makes no sense that the silent install does not work. We only have 30 ESX servers but man, would be nice if RDP could do this as we had hoped.

Has anybody else had this issue?

I sent HP my hpmgmt.conf file to make sure it is not an issue with that. They can't figure it out and have no resolution.

0 Kudos
allencrawford
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had a problem in a previous environment (not with Altiris, but a similar product) and my only issue was that I wasn't changing into the "~hpmgmt/8xx" directory before running the script. I'm kind of making the assumption that's not your problem since you have the ./ in front of the install script.

0 Kudos
timmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I wish that was the case to fix that. No, my script copies over the new 8.2 version and then extracts it. It does a chmod so that the sh executes. It navigates into the hpmgmt/820 directory and initiates the ./install. Doesn't work. Oh well. I have changed my way of doing it and am manually doing the install for now. Kind of stinks to have to do on every system. Seems silly we pay for these altiris licenses and can't fully use the benefits!!!

0 Kudos
allb18c
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any update on this - were you able to install SIM 8.2 over HP RDP? It looks as though the ./installvm820.sh isnt working and I have the newest version of HP RDP installed, 3.83

Thanks

0 Kudos
timmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nope, I have not been able to get this working. HP has not been able to help either. I sent them my answer file and they could not help

0 Kudos
Navin_Singh
Contributor
Contributor

I too have the same issue. Manual installation works and HP SIM page shows all the correct information. However installing with --silent --inputfile option doesn't work.

0 Kudos