VMware Cloud Community
jftwp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HP Proliant Agents - To use or not to use, and what flavor do YOU use?

I have the v7.8 agents installed WITHOUT the 'storage agents' portion, per the following issue, that I experienced last year myself:

Since reconfiguring the agents to EXCLUDE the storage agents, my ESX servers (all 3.0.2) have not had related problems/ASR. My Proliants are DL360 G5 and DL380 G4.

There's a fair amount of debate out there as to whether HP SIM agents should be installed on various flavors of ESX servers. Some combos of ESX version + SIM agent version, it seems, are bad/bad/bad, whereas others are okay (this dates back to v2.5.x of ESX if not before). But since finding this 'happy medium', I had a hard drive failure and of course was not alerted via SIM given no storage agents. Naturally, I'd like to put the storage agents back into the mix, but am a tad paranoid about doing so. It would be nice not to 'taint' the service console's kernel at all by installing any 3rd party stuff in there whatsoever, but not monitoring the hardware health of my ESX servers obviously isn't an option, and I doubt it is for many of you with Proliant ESX hosts either.

Along comes v7.91 of the ESX3 SIM agents (within last month or so). Anyone running this newest flavor? Anyone ever hear of what I'm talking about re: the above site/link and storage agents causing ASR's in previous versions of SIM agents? Thanks.

0 Kudos
0 Replies