VMware Cloud Community
smudge1977
Contributor
Contributor

HP NC7131 drivers

I have two HP ML570 G2 servers that I am making in to a LAB ESX enviroment. I am using SAN Melody as an iSCSI target on a ML370 G2

The two ML570 boxes have an onboard 100Mb NIC and two NC7131 1Gb NICS

When I try and get to the iSCSI using one of the 1Gb NICs things all stop working.

I have downloaded e1000-7.4.24b-1.src.rpm from http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/26812.html

Then I installed with

rpm -ivh e1000-7.4.24b-1.src.rpm

still the NICs don't seem to work - any thoughts please??

0 Kudos
5 Replies
doubleH
Expert
Expert

never download drivers if they are not vmware supplied. not sure why you would do that. these nics are on the HCL so the vmkernel will detect them.

typo

Message was edited by:

doubleH

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
smudge1977
Contributor
Contributor

It is definatly the 1Gb NICs that stop things working! I have check an VI still say the driver is the e1000 not sure if this would be the old or the new! Any other ideas greatly....

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

what are the speed/duplex settings set at on the switch ports?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
smudge1977
Contributor
Contributor

okay - update time. I have moved from the 1gb switch from some random vendor to having the ESX and NAS box patched in to my core switches.

Still when I put the VMKernal port on the 1Gb NIC things all start to go wrong. Have tried SAN Melody and Star Wind as the NAS iSCSI software.

I have put on HPs latest drivers for the NC7131 (this is on the NAS W3K Server end)

I done a fresh install of ESX on one box so the standard 3.0.1 ESX e1000 driver is inuse now definatly.

Still have same problem. Finial thing is to try the other 1Gb I have in the NAS box incease it is some issue with that one not liking to go at full speed!!

Any other thoughts?

0 Kudos
smudge1977
Contributor
Contributor

Noticed this old question and thought I would post the result:

changed to use some IBM 1Gb nics in the ESX boxes to talk to SAN Melody and that seemed to fix things! So a compatibility issues with SAN Melody...

0 Kudos