VMware Cloud Community
marvinthebassma
Contributor
Contributor

HP Management Agents 8.1.0 installation may be followed by an ASR !!!

Hi everybody,

just as a warning : I am updating the PSP from 8.0.0a to 8.1.0.

Three of about 20 servers had an ASR after the update. (some minutes after updating)

In the ILO log you can find this message :

BMC IPMI Watchdog Timer Timeout: Action=System Power Reset.

It seems to be the same bug as described in (PSP 7.5.1a)

This happened to me on HP Proliant DL385 G1 and G2 systems.

I will create a call to hp about that issue.

Perhaps someone can confirm this behaviour.

Martin

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MHAV
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Martin,

good to know that this problem can occour. I`m using DL380 and DL580 with PSP 7.9 not upgraded jet.

By the way try out the ESX i3.5 Version where you have the Healthmonitoring included in the VC console.

The information there is not as good as the SMH delivers but think about it.

Regards

Michael

Regards Michael Haverbeck Check out my blog www.the-virtualizer.com
0 Kudos
marvinthebassma
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Michael,

just to keep you up to date.

We are investigating this problem with HP.

The issue does not appear on DL385 G1, not on DL585 G1 but on each of our DL385 G2.

Every DL385 G2 that I have updated was resetted by an ASR after the ASR timeout.

We can reproduce this issue and updating all the firmware did not solve the problem.

We have two workarounds at the moment : immediately reboot the system or disable ASR.

Martin

0 Kudos
marvinthebassma
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Michael,

another update :yesterday we had a webex session with HP and the issue remains.

We took another DL385 G2 and also after a fresh installation of ESX 3.5 Update 2 the installation of PSP 8.1.0 gives us this ASR.

We tried with SAN attached and detached. The issue remains.

HP is working on it.

Updating PSP 8.1.0 on DL380 G3 worked fine, on DL385 G1 and DL585 G1 also no problem.

Martin

0 Kudos
Engelsman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Just for the record:

I have installed the HP Agents 8.1.0 on a fully patched ESX 3.0.2 server running op BL460c blades without any problems.

As for ESXi on HP hardware. The hardware monitoring is absolutely not complete to do this in production.

For example: there is no monitoring for network cards and fiberchannel adapters (at least not on BL460C blades)

0 Kudos
dfabricni
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

This is also just for the record.

I had an ASR today with BL460c, Management Agents 8.1.1 and ESX 3.5 U3 installed. The server, chassis and all modules inside the chassis has the latest firmware.

This would not be a great issue if it had not happened during production time with some virtual machines running on the server. It will not happen again, belive me.

Dinko

0 Kudos