VMware Cloud Community
texasjohn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HP MSA20 SATA Array

I have an HP DL380 G4 with an MSA20 (Part # E05EMJI4K) attached. I have an internal 6i card with 69GB RAId 5. I would like to know if I can use the MSA20 for guest systems.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It should work though I believe direct attached scsi arrays are officially unsupported.

0 Kudos
davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I believe direct attached scsi arrays are officially unsupported.

I don't believe that is the case. When you think about it, whats the difference between the SmartArray 6i controlling internal disk or external disk?

So long as the controller is supported, you have a supported configuration IMHO.

Dave

0 Kudos
BenConrad
Expert
Expert

texasjohn, check the compatibility guides. Don't run production on equipment that is not in the guides.

The 6i controller does not have an external connection to run an MSA20. Also, the MSA20 has a controller with it's own cache (unlike a MSA30) so that can make things tricky.

Ben

0 Kudos
kriewald
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running a DL380G3 with SA6400 and MSA20 (12x250GB) without any problems since a year. Course of the SA6400 it's not a performance hit Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
wcrahen
Expert
Expert

It will probably work, however SATA disks are technically not supported.

0 Kudos
BenConrad
Expert
Expert

SATA disks are supported in ESX, as long as they are presented to the server as SCSI devices. The Smart Array 64xx <> MSA20 presents SATA disks to the server as SCSI devices.

0 Kudos
chad_sanders
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes they are supported but in a lab environment only IMHO. There is no reason to run production servers on SATA drives, they were meant for cheap disk to disk backups. You will be fine if you are talking about web servers and maybe file servers depending on how large, but if you try it with databases, or like Exchange/ Citrix you will not be thrilled with the performance. We had this similar setup and quickly moved away from it once we started growing our ESX cluster. Just as a side note I found that SATA's did not report things such as drive failures accurately which would sometimes take the Array down and require a hard reboot. Good luck.

0 Kudos
BenConrad
Expert
Expert

I'm not sure I would want to run production on a MSA20 either.

However, running production on SATA drives that sit behind a VMWare certified SAN is just fine as long as you have enough IOPS available and the workload is appropriate.

Ben

0 Kudos
davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I agree with you Ben, they are supported if presented by a supported device. It may not be suitable though, depending on needs.

We frequently use SATA for tier 2 storage and it is supported and works well for what it is designed todo.

Dave

0 Kudos
marcwolf
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

I need a little information. I am on a budget (like most IT departments) and I am trying to make a VM environment to support sme servers

I have managed to purchase som HP Proliant DL380G4 and a MSA20. These units are still in transit.

I am interested in connecting the DL380's to the MSA20  and use the MSA20 as the datastore. Any suggestions - My budget is really limited to second hands equip.

Take Care

Dave

0 Kudos
maxnipi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm using MSA20 as a datastore linked to DL380G4 (smart array 6400 controller) in ESXi environment without problems.

Regards

Max

0 Kudos