VMware Cloud Community
i_mlovinit
Contributor
Contributor

HP Insight Manager Agents and ESX

Hi Folks,

Is anyone using the HP Insight Manager Agents to monitor the underlying hardware of their ESX's and log state changes to the service console syslog?

I have installed the HP Insight Agents (great, no worries) and can connect to my ESX's host on http port 2381 and see the hardware nic, storage, power state etc (great) - BUT how can I get state degradation etc to log to my ESX console? - I don't really want to go down the laborious route of configuring up a Insight Manager "Manager" or updating our monitoring maagement servers with HP MIB's etc.. Surley someone out there is getting ESX hardware subsystem event chages logged to ESX's SysLog for monitoring?

Cheers,

R

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
virtualesxer
Contributor
Contributor

I'm still in the process of figuring it all out myself precisely, but since it's SNMP based, why not add something to cma.conf like:

trapemail /usr/bin/logger 'RAID test'

(with a mite more useful message, of course) That should log to /var/log/messages, at least. Still, since it's SNMP, I think you're better off just sending out an alert email for the ''trapemail' command.

i_mlovinit
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply... I wasn't aware of cma.conf... trried out but I see it doesn't capture any info about the trap.. it just logs the fact that CIM has fired a trap! Damm.

SURELY there must be a way of getting the CIM agents to log their state changes + info locally?

Cheers.

0 Kudos
i_mlovinit
Contributor
Contributor

Ah, further to my last post... trapemail wasn't actually getting executed... Once I uncommented out cmaXSocketBase in /opt/compaq/cma.conf things sprang into life...

So know I can see power and disk state changes logged in var/adm/messages to which I can use my third party snmp agent to pickup on and fwd onto my Network Management layer with a nice and meaningful message.

For some reason though, NIC degradation events (i.e. if I pull out a cable from one of my 8 nics) doesn't get logged (but it does appear on the CIM mgmt homepage). For that (I suppose...) I'll could add a cron on my esx to do a esxcfg-nics -l and look for downed interfaces and log to syslog (not ideal.. But I'll do the job..)

R

0 Kudos
SpiderIce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are doing Insight Agents, we have them sent to the Insight Manager Server (SIM) and have SIM sent out Email alerts as to hardware problems.

0 Kudos