VMware Cloud Community
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HP Inisght Manager Online Diagnostics

We are running version 8.2 of the HP Inishgt Manager agents on our ESX Hosts to monitor hardware. I think this is the same regardless of agent version. I don't see anyway to run diagnostics from the SMH. This is an option with the default Windows agent installation.

My assumption is that HP Inight Diagnostic agents aren't included or don't exist for ESX Host versions. Is this true? Is there no way to run an online diagnostic on an ESX Host?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cricalix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I unpacked the 8.2 agents for VMware from HP, I saw no indication that anything beyond the basic agents, SMH and ASM would be installed. At a guess, HP don't provide the functionality for 3.5 (no idea about 4) due to the older kernel, but you'd have to ask them, not me.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dickybird
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The HP insight manager is not included with ESX O/S. You have install it on top of ESX.

You need to load the latest HP insight manager avialable from HP for various versions of ESX.

Remeber installing HP insight manager will consume some of Service console memory, if you are usingdefault of 252MB mem for Service console, sonsider increasing it.

vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Our NOC has HP Insight Manager 5.3 on a Windows server to monitor our entire HP environement. Windows or ESX, we only install the management agents on the client servers.

I think I'm confused? You're saying there is a specific HP Insight Manager Console software I would need to run on every ESX Host to get online Insight Diagnostics? We have Service Console memory maxed out but, I don't think we would ever install anything more than the agents on each Host. Inisght Diagnostics is just an agent for WIndows. I was just looking for a similar agent for ESX.

0 Kudos
cricalix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I unpacked the 8.2 agents for VMware from HP, I saw no indication that anything beyond the basic agents, SMH and ASM would be installed. At a guess, HP don't provide the functionality for 3.5 (no idea about 4) due to the older kernel, but you'd have to ask them, not me.

0 Kudos
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That was my take as well. Whenever we get a predictive failure on a drive, HP wants to generate a diagnostic report. Just making sure I'm telling my NOC the right thing when I say an "online" HP diagnostic is not possible on our ESX Hosts.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
cricalix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

One would expect that HP's own support folks would know that their tools don't run on ESX Smiley Happy Then again, that might be asking for too much.