VMware Cloud Community
rreynol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HP FC1143 HBA not recognizing SAN disk

We replaced the HP FCA2214 hba that HP no longer makes with the HP FC1143. On our first attempt to use the FC1143 on ESX 3.0.1 we were able to get the worldwide name off the SAN switch and the amber light is solid on 4Gbit but could not see any SAN disk (Hitachi USP 600, Brocade 48000 switch). We put in two spare FCA2214 hba boards in the same server and could see the SAN disk so we feel confident that the problem is not the SAN setup.

The driver being loaded is qla2300_707 build 32039 7.07.04. No errors show up in /var/log/vmkernel and nothing obvious in /proc/scsi.

Any advice to enable the FC1143?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
joergriether
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

please post the firmware version of the fc1143. Check for updates and apply. I barely remember i heared of some problems with this adapter carrying not the latest firmware.

best regards

Jerg

EGRAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've seen similar problems with Dell systems using Q-logic and Emulex cards accessing a McData 4500 switch to an IBM ESS-800.

The problem seemed to be that the specific card couldn't communicate properly through the switch. Grab the latest drivers if you haven't done so already. As the above post suggests try new firmware as well.

Could the port on your switch be hard coded to 1,2 or 4GB while the card runs at a specific speed?

Can you swap GBIC's? Could be a port/GBIC problem or are you reusing the same port for your tests?

The light may be on, but try logging into the switch and going a loopback test and try pinging through the switch to your HBA.

Lastly, check the LUN-masking or the Zone and make sure the WWPN is setup correctly to see the SAN storage.

rreynol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you Jerg. Unfortunately we have had to abandon any further debugging so we are going with the older HBAs over the weekend. Early next week I should be able to get back on the debugging trail and find out the level of the firmware.

0 Kudos
rreynol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

All good suggestions on the debugging from EGRAdmin. The SAN port is set to autonegotitate but VMware support is suggesting that we downgrade and set specifically to 2Gbit. As I mentioned earlier, we have had to put debugging on hold and get this server into production with the older HBAs. I do not think there is any problem within the SAN hardware or setup since the older cards worked fine, once the world wide names were changed to match, but I am not a SAN admin so I may be wrong.

I will next try a firmware upgrade early next week.

0 Kudos
rreynol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We had to get at least one of the new ESX servers into production with the older HBAs we had on hand as spares. That is done now.

Here is what I can report on the debugging:

1) As VMware requested, I went into the BIOS of the FC1143 to change the data rate from "2", autonegotiate to "1" 2Gbit, but the hba still does not allow us to see any LUNs, even after a reboot. The lights on the HBA turn from amber to green, confirming the change.

2) I called HP and they asked me to download ESX 3.0.1 (4Gb and 2Gb FC HBAs) SNIA API Library for VMware (QLogic) driver v.7.07.04. From the URL below but it made no difference and the firmware level is still 4.00.18 and Driver 7.07.04

http://support.qlogic.com/support/oem_product_detail_vmware.asp?&category=39&type=FCHBAWindows&nosid...

3) I also tried the Multiboot Image for Qlogic 4Gb FC HBAs and Mezzanine Cards from HP, hpqlx24xxaf1.64risc4.00.90.zip (706 KB). But it is very hard to deal with, since it needs a bootable disk but is too large for a floppy. I finally got a bootable CD created but then the flash program complains that a file is missing when I attempt the update.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12...

I will continue to poke around to figure out the issue.

0 Kudos
rreynol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Problem solved. Hitachi just happened to be here installing more drives so I brought up the issue with them. They had heard of another case of an HP branded HBA not communicating with an Hitachi SAN. Turns out Hitachi needs to turn on host mode option 346. As soon as he turned on option 346 I could see the SAN disks.

0 Kudos
EGRAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ahhh, did not know that!

Thanks for the heads up with that fix.

0 Kudos