VMware Cloud Community
mrbarker2312
Contributor
Contributor

HP DL385 driver for ESX 3.5?

Hello all,

I have just recently started a new job and the company is having a constant issue with their ESX environment. This is all new to me so I was hoping for some help. The existing IT guy managing the ESX has been rebooting the three HP DL385 machines every other friday night. He says this has to be done because there is no compatible driver for ESX 3.5 and the HP DL385. Is that true?

When he doesnt reboot the HP boxes the ESX environment crashes. The error in the log files says driver incompatibility. Not knowing much about ESX I have to take his word on this, but thought I may reach out to the VMWare community. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

The DL385G1/G2 are supported but not necessarily all the I/O cards plugged into them.

You can search the compatibility guides online at http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

However, the symptoms indicate a BIOS/firmware/hardware issue.

0 Kudos
mrbarker2312
Contributor
Contributor

Forgive my ignorance.... How might I get the updates for BIOS or Firmware?

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

Directly from HP - search for "Firmware CD"

0 Kudos
mrbarker2312
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any particuliar level I need to look for relating to the DL385 and ESX 3.5 udpate 2?

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

This depends on the used I/O cards - check with the compatibilty guide mentioned above.

If there isn't any special firmware version mentioned get the newest.

0 Kudos
mrbarker2312
Contributor
Contributor

This appears to be the hangup.....

Our MSA 1500 is having following firmware

MSA1500 Firmware Revision: 5.20b1500 (SGA0720002)

Build Time: 2007-01-24 16:03:28

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
mrbarker2312
Contributor
Contributor

Is active/active configuration supported by HP for VMware? It looks like if I update the firmware to 7.00 or 7.10 that could resolve my issues correct?

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

Active / active is supported.

0 Kudos