VMware Cloud Community
sandipsshimpi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HP BAC Application on VM Image gets very slow when ESX Backup starts

Dear All,

I have HP BAC/Sitescope application running on VM Image which gets very slow every friday, While troubleshooting and utilisation I could find out that ESX Backup running during this period.

Any Solution for this?

Regards,

Sandip

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Slow is a very relative term. In terms of resource utilization, if you are running into contention for resources, you can always increase shares/entitlements for this vm. This could be memory, cpu, disk related resources that are being contended for. You'll have to figure out which it is, and increase/modify accordingly. You could also be reaching limits on I/O, depending on how intensive the backup jobs are. In that case, you could move your backup job to a time when it will not interfere with your processing.

Are you running backup jobs with an agent within the vm, or is the backup you refer to executed in a different manner?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

Don't forget to leave points for helpful/correct posts.

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Slow is a very relative term. In terms of resource utilization, if you are running into contention for resources, you can always increase shares/entitlements for this vm. This could be memory, cpu, disk related resources that are being contended for. You'll have to figure out which it is, and increase/modify accordingly. You could also be reaching limits on I/O, depending on how intensive the backup jobs are. In that case, you could move your backup job to a time when it will not interfere with your processing.

Are you running backup jobs with an agent within the vm, or is the backup you refer to executed in a different manner?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
sandipsshimpi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks KJB for your reply,

but HP BAC/Sitescope collects the data from servers regarding resources utilization which normally almost hung up once in a week,

Regarding backup, no third pary backup utility as such, normal backup in ESX, One solution you suggested we have already implemented and under observation that CPU allocation for this application changed to high, will post here whatever findings will be.

Thanks once again.

Regards,

Sandip

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

By normal backup, do you mean VCB? Or something else? Are you taking image-level backups? Keep an eye on your disk stats as well, as Disk I/O can also cause performance problems when you're hammering at a server.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
sandipsshimpi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, VCB & image level.

and you are right, need to keep watch on Disk stat as well.

Sandip

0 Kudos