VMware Cloud Community
BobF
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HP Array Configuration Utility and ESX 3.5

Hello,

I just installed ESX 3.5 on a new HP DL380 G5 server with a SmartArray P400/256 internal RAID controller. I'd like to install HP's Array Configuration Utility on the server so I can monitor the health of the local RAID system. After installing the HP System Management Homepage, I downloaded the Linux version of the ACU software and attempted to install it, but rpm complains about failed dependencies (libstdc++.so.6 is needed by cpqacuxe-8.28-13.0). Internet searches have turned up nothing useful. Anyone have any suggestions about how to resolve this?

Thanks!

Bob

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
powers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Do you mean esx or esxi ?

I have HP SIM setup, but also just use HP system management homepage to monitor the esx box server health.

Just need to download the HP agents and install them via cli . Then you can view the system management homepage by pointing a web browser to the esx box's IP.

For esxi, did you install the HP version of esxi that has the mangement agents built in ?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't know if it will work or not, you may be better off installing the Insight Manager Agents which are certified for ESX

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

HPacucli will work (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121516&prodNameId=3288134&swEnvOID=1080&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-fc45026e3c2c441680ddfda356)

I have had issues with the newer versions of HPACU I often find that by rolling back to an older version of ACU/HPSMH I can get things to wor, but hpacucli generally works without the trouble.

0 Kudos
BobF
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, Troy. I'll check it out.

Best regards,

Bob

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You can also check out "HP Array Configuration Utility (ACU) Offline CD for Smart Array"

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15...

Just use Ilo to mount the ISO (About 80MB) or burn it and boot into ACU.

0 Kudos
BobF
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for quick responses, guys.

I have not used SIM before, and, from what I've read so far, it seems like kind of overkill for my little 2-server environment.

I've just found a document that implies that the health of the SmartArray should be seen in the "health status" in VI Client. A post about ESXi indicated that Update 4 included that support. I'm running Update 4 of ESX, but Health Status shows nothing about storage. Should it? Is there an agent that needs to be installed on the ESX system?

Regards,

Bob

0 Kudos
powers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Do you mean esx or esxi ?

I have HP SIM setup, but also just use HP system management homepage to monitor the esx box server health.

Just need to download the HP agents and install them via cli . Then you can view the system management homepage by pointing a web browser to the esx box's IP.

For esxi, did you install the HP version of esxi that has the mangement agents built in ?

0 Kudos
BobF
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm running ESX. I installed the System Management Homepage without incident. Do you know which agent is the correct one for monitoring the RAID controller? ACU clearly won't work....

Thanks!

Bob

0 Kudos
powers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you have installed the HP managment agents, you can log into the system management homepage from a web browser and view the RAID/smart array controller.

Click on the array controller in the storage section. (on mine it says Smart Array 5i controller on system board)

0 Kudos
BobF
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, I found the correct agents on HP's web site and installed them this morning. All is working as expected now.

Thanks, everyone, for all the suggestions.

Best regards,

Bob

0 Kudos
mallinath
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Bob,

May i know what software you installed on ESX3.5 to see the HP Array configuration utility?

I am trying to do the same on ESX4 installed HP System Management Software of 8.2.5 but i am not getting the expected results.

I am trying this in evaluation version of ESX4 is that the reason of unexpected results (Not able to see array,raid configuration)?

Thanks

MV

0 Kudos
BobF
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I installed 8.2.0. The actual file I downloaded is called hpmgmt-8.2.0-vmware3x.tgz. Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Regards,

Bob

0 Kudos