VMware Cloud Community
tarpit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HP 2012fc SAN Available Volume Capacity Wrong on ESX 3.5 -- help

We have VM ESX 3.5 installed on a a new HP Proliant DL380 G5. ESX works great on the server with local and NFS attached storage.

The issue we are having is with the new SAN. This is a HP Storagework MSA 2012fc.

This is connected via fiber channel as a direct connection over fiber. The connect is working, ESX finds the volumes on the SAN.

The issue is with size and capacity. I have a RAID-5 vdisk 5.5 TB usable, with 5.5 TB volume. The ESX server recognizes a 5.0 TB capacity with only 1.x TB usable.

I then removed the the 5.5 TB volume and created 3 TB and 2 TB volumes to test. ESX would only see 745GB available in 3 TB!!!!

And 1.82 TB Available on the 2 TB.

Is there a maximum size limit for FC - LUN's? Should I manually partition from the ESX command line?

I looked at the HP MSA 1000/1500 Connection profile hack, but this CLI doesn't do connections the same way.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums - the maximum LUN size the ESX and ESXi can access is 2 TB - so you will have to create 2x2 TB and 1 TB LUN - and regards to the lost space on the 2 TB LUN some space is take to maintain header information about the VMFS datastore

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
lmonaco
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
tarpit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the help. I knew there was something I was missing.:D

Performance on ESX vs Vmware Server is great so far.

0 Kudos