VMware Cloud Community
Nocturnae
Contributor
Contributor

HELP: Installing VMWARE ESX for test purposes inside a VMWARE Host

Hello,

I'm new to this community and I'll start by posting a quick reason for this topic. I'm currently following an education as Network Administrator in Belgium. For this education we have to make a paper in order to get our degree. Because of my big interest in Datacenters and virtualization I'm planning on doing my paper on the subject of 'Virtualization and the use in Datacenters'.

I want to be able to test the products I'm going to discuss in my paper by installing VMWARE ESX and possible VM Infrastructures. However I tried this first by installing the ESX iso (burnt on a cd ofc) on my Laptop. Quickly found out I needed a SCSI drive for that. So I decided to try installing VM ESX inside the VM Server program.

I got up to the point I have the visual shell (the wizard) to start installing ESX properly (by configuring my VMWARE "host" to scsi drive etc). However I'm getting the error message :

"The installer was unable to find any supported network drives" Press OK to reboot your system.

Any guides or clear help would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
2 Replies
pomiwi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here is an article on how to get it going... hope your laptop or workstation has a decent amount of RAM or it may run like a pig Smiley Happy

Nocturnae
Contributor
Contributor

I got it running! Thank you for the nice guide. I also found out that installing vmware ESX doesn't work on the Workstation Server edition. So I had to use Workstation.

Thank you for the help Smiley Wink

0 Kudos