VMware Cloud Community
eelali
Contributor
Contributor

HELP! Can ping esx server, but not instances

Hey guys,

Noob here. I'm trying to set up the ESX environment, and taking it all one step at a time. This is how I'm trying to do it:

Internet - Physical Environment (including domain), and have the instances run off of four of the physical servers but NOT as a seperate VLAN. I want the instances to act as part of the regular lan, and part of the domain that all the other non virtual/esx servers are on.

Anyways, I'm able to ping the ESX servers itself from both other servers on the network AND from the virtual instances that are off the ESX servers...and I can ping the other physical servers from the virtual instances, BUT, and this is where it gets tricky

I cannot ping or remote desktop into the virtual instances from the regular physical environment. I know this has to do with some vlan/vswitch setting...but i'm totally stuck and i haven't been able to find anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

0 Kudos
10 Replies
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you want vm to speak with the outside world you have to create a virtual network port group in a virtual switch.

Which is your vswitch configuration?

You can do it by vi client in configuration tab (click on network..)

0 Kudos
eelali
Contributor
Contributor

I believe it's the default. i see a vswitch0, and there's two instances inside a virtual machine port group. and there's a service control port. what information do u need exactly? (i didn't set this up, and my coworkers says during hte installation he only configured IPs, and that the rest of this is default settings)

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes it's the default 1 vswitch with service console port and virtual machine network on it. which are the virtual machine port group properties (ip address pool, etc.)?

Which are the addresses of the vms?

How many physical nics do you have?

Remember that they must be connected to physical switch ports trunked.

0 Kudos
eelali
Contributor
Contributor

i dont have virtual motion- or even vm center set up just yet. at this point, we've just installed the esxs and are trying to get the instances to be seen oustside of the esx server itself.

I can say that only one of the NIC cards has an IP, and the other is down, and i can't seem to enable it (maybe it's a compatibility thing with vmware?)....but if one of the network cards is supposed to be for vmotion, does that mean i should be able with just ONE nic card have the ability for my insances to both have access to the internet (which they do) AND have them be recognized by other servers on the physical network (which they dont)

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Forget vmotion for now.

When you talk of instances are you talking of virtual machines?

If so which ip addresses do they have?

Now look at the vswitch properties( under VI client Tab Configuration -> Network).

Which are the Virtual NMachine Network properties?

Post it here please.

eelali
Contributor
Contributor

ok, by instances i am referring to the virtual machines (sorry about that guys). right now, it has the IP of x.x.x.119

the vswithc properties is x.x.x.64-x.x.x.127 (xs are the same as the IP)...

and i think i'm starting to see the problem. Only issue is, i dont know how to change the vswitch properties, and my coworker does not remember configuring that- so is this a default setting or something? (he says he would have given it the whole range if ti wasn't for that)...

can the vswitch of each esx have the entire .1-..254?

Message was edited by:

eelali@ppc.com

0 Kudos
eelali
Contributor
Contributor

lol, actually....119 is INSIDE OF .64-.254 , but it's still odd

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes It can.

You don't have to change nothing inside vswitch about VM Network.

If you attach this port group to a physical adapter traffic will be routed outside.

The problem could be that the physical switch could not understand that network.

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are you using VLAN tagging?

if so you have to set it under VM Network properties.

0 Kudos
BUGCHK
Commander
Commander

The virtual switch does not care. It does not operate on the IP level.

It is not really a 'property' that you can change. What you see is a 'guess' based on IP traffic that has passed the vswitch so far.

Reboot the ESX server without any Virtual Machines powering on and check the 'hint' again.

0 Kudos