VMware Cloud Community
garyfritz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HELP!! Adding VM to inventory kills ESX?? --- & can't convert Workstation VM to ESX

I am trying to remotely help someone who is having trouble importing a VM into some existing 3.5 servers.

I told her to upload them using the VI Client storage browser, then right-click on the .vmx file and register it. It asked more questions than I expected (but it's been a long time since I did this operation and I wasn't exactly sure what should happen, and I don't have an ESX server available to me now), and it said something about "compatibility verified." But then the ESX host went offline. I told her to try to re-connect and she got an error "Unable to contact the specified host" etc. I had her log into the console and reboot it there, but that didn't help. We CAN ping the host from the VI Client host, but VI Client can't connect to the ESX host.

We tried importing the VM on another ESX server and exactly the same thing happened. So now TWO servers have gone belly-up after trying to add this VM to the inventory. And we desperately need this VM running tomorrow morning!!!

One wrinkle: she isn't sure but it's possible this VM is actually from VM Server, NOT ESX server. Could that cause this problem? The .vmx file says:

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "6"

I have a bad feeling that's not an ESX file? (After digging, it looks like it may be a Workstation 6 file!?? Gack!)

I tried having her run Converter but it seems to only be looking for live VMs inside a server. I have a VM folder copied from another machine and she can't get it to look at that.

HELP!!! How can I get this VM running on ESX 3.5, and how can I get those two servers running again??

Gary

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
garyfritz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

She figured out how to get Converter to convert the file. She went through the conversion wizard, she specified source type was other (VM Wkstation), and she converted it directly into one of her ESX servers.

step 1, connecting to VMware converter on local host

step 2, creating target VM and converting data

converting parameters for the target virtual machine

warning: dropping extra floppies, sound device, etc

creating target virtual machine

cloning disk 0

error: unknown error: returned by VMware converter agent

In the log file, it says:

network error: failed to send header message
copy local -> remote destroyed
file transfer failed
nfcnettcpwrite bwritten: -1
cloning into disk, <storage specifier> <vmname>/<vmname>.vmdk failed.
Reporting image processing task failure for task blocklevelcloning::task
sysimage.fault.nfcconnectionfault

There is about 50MB free on this disk and the VM takes 40MB.

So we still don't know how to get these VMs working, and we still need to know how to recover the two ESX servers that got hosed by importing the WS6 VMs. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

Use VMware Converter to upload your Workstation VM to ESX.

---

VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
garyfritz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's what we DID. See my first response. It didn't work.

Anyone, help?? How do we get the two dead servers working again (short of re-installing, which may be our last resort but she doesn't have the experience to set it up), and any guesses why Converter is failing when we try to convert the Workstation VMs to ESX?

0 Kudos
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

ESX 3.5 works with virtualHW.version = "4" only.

Since there is difference between different virtualHW.version your VM from WS probably contains some unsupported virtual Hardware. To avoid this always create VM in WS as ESX3.5 compatible.

Calm down a little. I don't know way VM can kill ESX server. Can you login via ssh to ESXes?

---

VMware vExpert '2009

VMUG Russia Leader
0 Kudos
garyfritz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Right, I assume Converter converts it to the right version, but in the meantime we've got these two ESX servers with WS6 VMs that have broken them somehow.

Yes, we're connected to the console of the failed ESX server. She just tried doing a vmware-cmd -s unregister on the bad VM (the one we tried to add to inventory but it was actually a WS6 VM), and ESX says there's no such VM. So it obviously never got registered, and we can delete it to free up the disk space. But the ESX server is still not accessible from VI Client -- we get a connection error if we try to connect from VI Client. What else would you suggest trying to get this ESX server running again?

0 Kudos
garyfritz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We've gotten a newer/better version of the VM and so far the conversion is working OK. So hopefully we've resolved the conversion problem.

Two ESX servers are still offline for unknown reasons.

0 Kudos
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

You can delete VMs from /vmfs/volumes/---

VMware vExpert '2009

VMUG Russia Leader
garyfritz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have deleted the VM files, and we have rebooted the ESX servers from the console. That has not helped at all. They are still unavailable from VI Client. We can ping them and we can access the ESX console but VI Client can't connect to them. So we can't start the VMs on those servers, open the VM consoles, etc.

0 Kudos
garyfritz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hm. She got some local VMware-expert help and I think they have repaired the broken servers. She said they just renamed/deleted the VM dirs and restarted some services, and then it was OK. But I thought she had deleted the files and rebooted? We may have had a miscommunication over the phone.

So apparently the bad VM files were breaking some processes and that broke the connection to VI Client. Get rid of the files and restart and all is OK.

I will post again if we still have trouble. Anton, thanks for your help.

0 Kudos