VMware Cloud Community
timw18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HBA speed through qlogic

We are connected to an EVA 6000 through Qlogic hba cards and they are running at 1 Gb/sec.

When I looked at /proc/scsi/qla2300 it says the connection speed is 1-2 GB/sec /Auto.

What should I do to make it run on a constant 2 GB/sec?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Nibor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Reboot your server, when prompted press CTRL-Q[/b] to access the settings menu of your HBA.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jae_Ellers
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Make sure your switches are set to auto or 2G.

Set your hba to 2G manually and see if you can force it.

Make sure your topology is set correctly. Ours is point to point.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- http://blog.mr-vm.com http://www.vmprofessional.com -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
GBromage
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Also, be careful that you're looking at the same scale for both.

When you read that fiber channel is "2Gb" that means giga[b]baud[/b] not giga[b]bits[/b] per second.

If you think back to your old modem days, baud means the number of state changes per second of the signal. And because Fibre channel is a serial interface, there's overhead for start, stop and parity bits as well.

I hope this information helps you. If it does, please consider awarding points with the 'Helpful' or 'Correct' buttons. If it doesn't help you, please ask for clarification!
0 Kudos
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dear Jae,

Should we force the HBA to 2Gbps or just leave it as Auto-detect ? We are using QLogic HBAs with 2Gbps FC Switch from Brocade.

Thanks

0 Kudos
timw18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Set your hba to 2G manually and see if you can force

it.

How is this done?

0 Kudos
Nibor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Reboot your server, when prompted press CTRL-Q[/b] to access the settings menu of your HBA.

0 Kudos