VMware Cloud Community
FunkyD
Contributor
Contributor

HBA not showing up in ESX 3.0.1

I have a Dell PE2950 with two QLogic QLE220 HBA adapters connected directly (for now) to a EMC AX150.

They worked fine under Win2k3 which I did as a test. Under ESX, after booting they don't show up in Navisphere. If I use Kudzu then it detects them I can register them in Navisphere.

However, they never show up in ESX - just can't get them recognised. If I reboot they they show in Navisphere as offline until I re-run Kudzu.

I have installed the current three ESX 3.0.1 patches but am now drawing a bit of a blank!

Edit: Ok, lspci shows two records of 'Qlogic corp - unknown device 5432' I think this might be the cause of the problem!

Any ideas?

Message was edited by:

FunkyD

0 Kudos
12 Replies
acr
Champion
Champion

I dont see that model Qlogic HBA on the HCL...?

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_io_guide.pdf

hopefully im wrong..

0 Kudos
FunkyD
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly what I've just spotted. I'm on to Dell as they sold them as being suitable. Arrgh!

0 Kudos
acr
Champion
Champion

Not good, and ive seen them do that over a dozen times now... Even with a SAN for a full ESX Solution...!!

0 Kudos
FunkyD
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly what I was sold. It's suppossed to be one of their 'tried and tested' solutions that gets signed off by a team of experts before the customer makes the purchase.

I'll have 'em for it if it's their fault!

0 Kudos
acr
Champion
Champion

Cant believe they get away with it.. Good Luck

0 Kudos
FunkyD
Contributor
Contributor

Ok this is bad.

The card won't work with VMware. The cards that do work won't work with the AX150. There is one card that will work but the bus speed is 133Mhz compared to the 2.5Ghz - however that card won't go in the 4 servers we bought.

However you cut this, either the servers, the SAN or Vmware won't work together.

Does anyone have an AX150 running on Dell hardware - which servers are you using?

0 Kudos
Steve_Mc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Without looking too deeply...

Sounds like you have the PCIe riser so you want PCIe HBAs. QLE2360 is supported for AX150 and VI3:

http://support.qlogic.com/support/oem_product_list.asp?oemid=284

Or

http://www.emc.com/products/systems/clariion/ax150/support/pubd-web/FC/HBA/ax100tb_server_hba.htm

The AX150 FE ports are 2Gb, so a 2Gb HBA is suitable.

Good Luck,

Steve

0 Kudos
FunkyD
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah they look good but according to EMC they will only support the setup if you use one of their switches or a Qlogic Sanbox - we have Brocade 200E.

0 Kudos
whynotq
Commander
Commander

I've just run your setup through the EMC e-lab navigator and it gives me the following

Your Selections:

Host System Dell PowerEdge 2950

Operating System VMware ESX Server v3.0.1

Storage Array EMC CLARiiON AX150

Topology FC-SW

No. Host System Operating System Host Bus Host Bus Adapter Driver Firmware Revision FCode Topology Storage Array SNIA HBA API Supported BIOS

1 Dell PowerEdge 2950 VMware ESX Server v3.0.1 PCI Express, PCI-X Emulex LP1050-E 7.3.28 1.91a5 FC-AL, FC-SW EMC CLARiiON AX150 1.70a39

2 Dell PowerEdge 2950 VMware ESX Server v3.0.1 PCI Express, PCI-X Emulex LP1050Ex-E 7.3.28 1.91a59 FC-AL, FC-SW EMC CLARiiON AX150 Yes 1.70a39

3 Dell PowerEdge 2950 VMware ESX Server v3.0.1 PCI Express, PCI-X Emulex LP982-E 7.3.28 1.91a1 1.70a3 FC-AL, FC-SW EMC CLARiiON AX150

4 Dell PowerEdge 2950 VMware ESX Server v3.0.1 PCI Express, PCI-X Emulex LPe1150-E 7.3.28 2.50a6 FC-AL, FC-SW EMC CLARiiON AX150 Yes 1.70a39

5 Dell PowerEdge 2950 VMware ESX Server v3.0.1 PCI Express, PCI-X QLogic QLA2340-E-SP10 7.07.008 FC-AL, FC-SW EMC CLARiiON AX150

6 Dell PowerEdge 2950 VMware ESX Server v3.0.1 PCI Express, PCI-X QLogic QLE2360-E-SP11 7.07.008 FC-AL, FC-SW EMC CLARiiON AX150 Yes

7 Dell PowerEdge 2950 VMware ESX Server v3.0.1 PCI Express, PCI-X QLogic QLE2460-E-SP 7.07.008 FC-AL, FC-SW EMC CLARiiON AX150 Yes 1.08

1. Beginning with ESX Server v2.5.0 Navisphere components are supported as follows:

Navi Agent and Server Utility at the console level only;

Array Initialization Utility and CLI at both the console and VM levels;

Browser interface to Navisphere Express or Navi Manager at the VM level only.

2. Replication of both VMFS and Raw Device Mapping (RDM) volumes is supported using Symmetrix replication software (SRDF and TimeFinder). Please refer to the solution guide, 'VMware ESX Server Using EMC Symmetrix Storage Systems' for details.

Replicas of application data volumes of physical (native) servers created using Symmetrix replication software can be presented to a VMware ESX Server. Note:

1) Replication of Operating System volumes and application volumes from a virtual to physical environment using Symmetrix replication software is not supported at this time.

2) Replication of Operating System volumes, application volumes and application data volumes from a virtual to virtual environment using Symmetrix replication software is supported.

3. Supported with VirtualCenter VMotion.

4. PowerPath is not supported on VMWare ESX. The VMWare ESX native failover functionality is supported.

5. Supported with VMFS-3.

6. Virtual machines running on VMWare ESX are supported booting from the array.

7. VMWare ESX Server itself is supported booting from external array.

8. This driver is included in the VMware ESX kernel.

9. Available in the EMC-approved section of the Emulex website. http://www.emulex.com

10. Requires BIOS 1.47 available in the EMC-approved section of the QLogic website at http://www.qlogic.com

11. Requires BIOS 1.05 available from the EMC-approved section of the QLogic website at http://www.qlogic.com

sorry it loses a bit in the formatting but it's clear to see supported HBA

0 Kudos
Steve_Mc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That doesn't sound right. The 200E is also on the ESM (EMC Support Matrix).

Not sure who's checking this for you but I'd probably ask them to check it again - or check yourself:

http://www.emc.com/products/systems/clariion/ax150/index.jsp

I'll take a peak at the AX ESM later. Right now I'm running a bunch of errands.

Steve

0 Kudos
FunkyD
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for taking the trouble to check with EMC. Interesting to see that the QLA200 which Dell are now keen to supply isn't on that list but is on the Vmware list as being suitable.

It makes sense to me to follow the EMC list. I'm guessing Dell follow the VMware list which does include the QLA200 (maybe when used with a different SAN?).

You've got to wonder how Dell can get away with this!

I will show them the EMC list and leave it to them to work out how to get a working solution.

0 Kudos
jared1
Contributor
Contributor

They just sold me the same config with the 220s - so frustrating... our Dell rep is working out the replacement now...

FunkyD - any other gotcha's you've ran into with the AX config? I'm using two 2950 dual quads. This is my first foray into SAN territory... ... be gentle!

Jared

0 Kudos