VMware Cloud Community
ndmuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HBA monitoring on ESX server?

We have two ESX 3.5 servers (HP Proliant DL580) and two Windows 2003 servers (also HP Proliant) connected to MSA1000 using FC HBAs (FCA2214). In EventLog on Windows servers I can see events related to connectivity to MSA1000, like status of HBAs, etc.

Could I get the same kind of information from ESX servers? In Event Log on both Windows servers I am getting sporadically the same type of HP Storage Agent errors which may be sign of bad HBA, or FC cable, or MSA Switch...(at least HDs are OK). I do not know how to get logs from these devices on ESX server...

Thank you for any advice!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jwoods
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

A good place to check for SCSI (HBA) errors is in the /var/log/vmkernel file. It'll have any SCSI timeout errors, SCSI conflict errors, SCSI reset errors or warninds and most other errors dealing with the HBA. Other locations to check for completeness are /var/log/messages and /var/log/vmkwarning.

It won't provide the interface that Windows provides however, it'll probably provide more detail than windows. There may be other open sauce utilities out there that you can use to import and sift through the logs, but using nano or vi and scrolling through the log is the cheapest method!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Jwoods
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

A good place to check for SCSI (HBA) errors is in the /var/log/vmkernel file. It'll have any SCSI timeout errors, SCSI conflict errors, SCSI reset errors or warninds and most other errors dealing with the HBA. Other locations to check for completeness are /var/log/messages and /var/log/vmkwarning.

It won't provide the interface that Windows provides however, it'll probably provide more detail than windows. There may be other open sauce utilities out there that you can use to import and sift through the logs, but using nano or vi and scrolling through the log is the cheapest method!

0 Kudos