VMware Cloud Community
VM_Student
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HBA Qlogic missing after HA failover

Hi Expert,

I tried to test HA failover by shutdown one of the server. Let`s say ESX1 and ESX4 i configure HA cluster. I shutdown ESX1 and all the VM in esx1 success failover into esx4, but when i power up the server ESX1 can`t detect HBA Qlogic and SAN path even i tried rescan so many times.

My hardware are Bl460c, is there any solution for this one??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
opbz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

did you manage to check in the bios?

I only seen this in 2 cases

1: hbas are dead

2: the hbas are ot seeing any luns

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
alefesta
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi there, it could be a misconfiguration of the HBA, do you have a FC switch between the hosts and the SAN? is the zoning corretly configured? from the Qlogic manager when the host boot may you see the LUN correctly?

Alex

0 Kudos
opbz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

here is how I would check for this...

On the ESX server look under /proc/scsi/qlogic you should see 1 or 2 numbers look into those files. It will show you if they are connected or not and also show you luns seen by the HBAs.

If you can't see luns try esxcfg-rescan vmhba# do this for all Hbas on your system.

If you still can't see luns.

you can check at the HBA bios level of the server to see if it is able to see the luns. If you still can't see them you have issues with either cabling, zoning or your san.

To check switches ensure it is able to detect the wwn of the HBAs and that they are zoned correctly so each has paths to your san.

On your san...well I am not too familiar with the one you have I am more on an EMC person. In which case I would check to see that the SAN can see the HBAsand that they are identified correcetly as the ESX1 server. THen Check to ensure it is in the correct storagew group and has access to all luns.

0 Kudos
VM_Student
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, thanks for ur answers... but i forgot to tell that before i tested HA failover everything look OK. Every ESX can see SAN path n i didn`t do anything about zoning so it`s still unzone. But From BIOS or POST i still can access HBA using ctrlQ or altQ n manage to see SAN Storage

0 Kudos
VM_Student
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, already done what u told me n this is the result :

1. under /proc/scsi/qlogic not listed... i know too it must be there.. but it didn`t

2. I did rescan from VCMS all HBA n still can`t detect

3.No issue from zoning coz it`s unzone

Before i tried HA Failover n shutdown one server everything was fine... is it possible my HBA being damaged during initiate shutdown?? i did command kudzu, in the first it detect HBA so i keep the configuration but then nothing change

0 Kudos
opbz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

did you manage to check in the bios?

I only seen this in 2 cases

1: hbas are dead

2: the hbas are ot seeing any luns

0 Kudos
Funtoosh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I would also do this

1. Reload HBA's driver.

2. Rescan HBA's and reboot the host.

If any one of those does not help I will run HBA's test followed by Hardware test.

VM_Student
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes the HBA is dead... actually is not dead but somehow when i reconnect it again by unplug n plug, ESX manage to see it.

Then i tried HA again to shutdown the server by pressing power button on the server, it was fine.

Something in my mind, perhaps its better to force shutdown by pressing power on the server than type 'shutdown' command in service console ESX. Still need further inspection, but thanks anyway my HBA is just fine.

0 Kudos