VMware Cloud Community
azfar
Contributor
Contributor

HA vs Double-Take

I really want to know what is the major difference in vmware HA and double-take for vmware infrastructure. How differently both works

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dynamax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

my understanding is that double take replicates the vm and is more a DR solution whereas HA maintains one instance of the VM so a major difference is going to be the amount of storage being used. I suppose its similar to Continuous HA/Fault Tolerance in ESX4

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Those are 2 different technologies aimed at different Markets.

HA means that if the physical host dies, the VM will be auto restarted. but if the VM bluescreens because data is corrupt, you are having an extended outage to resolve the issue..

Neverfail and other products actually replicate the data to another System and allow you to run a script/command to redirect the traffic from the original host to the recovery host.

Think of HA like Microsoft Clustering - if a node fails the resources flip over to the passive node. With Neverfail you can fail over to the Passive node, but its a compeltely different set of data so if you have an Active Node failure that takes down the system, you can get everyone running on the Naverfail passive node (although you may have to use rollback to just prior to the data corruption)

0 Kudos
azfar
Contributor
Contributor

So how does HA exactly works. Whats is the difference between a server failure and a single VM failure (running on said server). How do it handle the VM failure.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

In a VM failure, HA will reboot the VM.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
azfar
Contributor
Contributor

On same server or different?

And do I require additional software like vmotion etc... for VMs replication process across the resource pool or HA will do it also.

And does HA support any compression durring replication?

0 Kudos