VMware Cloud Community
chevitom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HA misconfigured

Hi,

I got two ESX machines. I have a mistake in the HA configuration. (No correct DNS entries). Is there a method to fix up the problem without rebooting the esx machine? Maybe to restart the dns daemon or something like that?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Restart hostd, 'service mgmt-vmware restart'

When you are registering ha, you are using the FQDN, correct? Again, are shortname, longname, forward and reverse lookups all giving you the correct name and IP?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
williamarrata
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What you can do is from your VC, click on the Host you want. go to the Configuration tab, click on the DNS and Routing, look in the upper right corner, click on properties, Here you want to put in all the CORRECT information, click on the routing tab, put in all the correct information. Click OK, look in the tasks window and you'll see the task, Update DNS configuration working. Now do this to your second host. After all is done make sure you DNS tables in your AD are also correct. You should be good to go.

Hope that helped. Smiley Happy

Hope that helped. 🙂
0 Kudos
chevitom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

thanks for your fast response. I forgot something to tell. I fixed the DNS entries on one host, and rebooted the machine. HA is now Available on this machine. I also fixed the dns entries on the other host. But I can´t reboot this machine. So the question is how to make ha work without reboot the machine.

I also deactivated and activated ha on the cluster. But ha is only available for the host i rebooted.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you referring to the hostname? The DNS change is immediate, and the server will look to the resolv.conf file for new host resolution requests. If you changed the hostname in the config files, then you can reset the hostname by using 'hostname hostname.domain.com'

-KjB

chevitom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No,

all DNS settings were incorrect. I set the hostname with the command you provided. When I check it with "hostname" the machine shows now the right one. When I check /etc/resolv.conf I also can see all the new DNS settings. But ha is still not available.

Do you have other suggestions to fix it without rebooting?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I was always under the impression that a reboot was required when modifying the hostname - can you vmotion the vms to the other host and then reboot?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Restart hostd, 'service mgmt-vmware restart'

When you are registering ha, you are using the FQDN, correct? Again, are shortname, longname, forward and reverse lookups all giving you the correct name and IP?

-KjB

0 Kudos
chevitom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much kjb0007!

I restarted mgmt-vmware and reconfigured HA. Now all is working fine.

Have a nice day!

0 Kudos