VMware Cloud Community
thecoffeeguy
Contributor
Contributor

HA configuration errors on my setup...!

Bare with me as I am trying to give as much information as I can since I am currently not the primary admin for our setup.

Basically, we are running ESX 3.0.1 and VI 2.0.1 with 3 nodes and about 8 VM's currently.

I tried to log into one of our VM machines yesterday and couldn't. It was down, so I fired up the VI client to see if it was powered down. When I got into the VI interface, I saw lots of ERRORS.

On the three nodes, it had a error saying it could not configure HA on that node (or something very similar along those lines.)

Also, it showed that two of the nodes were 'not responding' and about half of the VM machines were 'disconnected.' Not good...

I started to try and google and search here for answers, and found a few things, but as of this time, I show one of the nodes is 'not responding' still and the VM's on that machine are 'disconnected.'

I tried to 'Reconfigure the HA' option on the node and that did not work (error in the event log).

What else can I do to see what could be causing the problem?

What other information can I provide to help resolve this?

As I said, fairly new to ESX and VI, so I am quickly learning.

Thanks,

TCG

0 Kudos
3 Replies
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

The first thing I would check is that you ping between all esx hosts and the all ESX hosts and your VirtualCenter server

Can you point your VI client directly at your esx hosts and login using the root account? what state are your virtual machines in?

I would also have a look at /var/log/vmware/hostd.log and /var/log/vmware/vpx/vpxa.log on your esx hosts for any error messages

thecoffeeguy
Contributor
Contributor

I will check on this first thing in the morning and post my results.

Anything else I can provide to help troubleshoot this?

Any idea what causes this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
BoucheJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm sure that they are fine but make sure to check your ETC/Hosts file (on each ESX host) to make sure all the host names and IPs are still there. I don't know why they wouldn't be but it happened to me and then HA would not work till I manually put them in.