VMware Cloud Community
bsd1977
Contributor
Contributor

HA and MSCS (cluster in a box)

Can't seem to find a definitive answer to my question here.

If you have an MSCS cluster in a box set up on one host and that host is a member of an HA cluster, if that host fails, will HA bring that MSCS cluster in a box up on another host in the HA cluster? Does HA know to bring the two VM's up on the same host so they can continue to use their shared SCSI device?

This is on ESX 3.0.2.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
COS
Expert
Expert

Your question is a little vague.

However, as I understand the HA, if one node fails on the host, HA should re-host that VM on the other Host. What it sounds like is that what you're doing is clustering a cluster. Seems over redundant.

If the shared disk resources are viewable by both Hosts and the VM's are configured correctly to the shared LUN's then yes HA will re-host correctly. If the entire MSCS cluster goes belly up, theoretically HA wil re-host to the other server as well. BUT, if it has to do that, something else is gravely wrong. Most likely disk or fiber or fiber HBA or fiber switch etc...

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Hello,

I would not recommend HA with a cluster configuration. While it is possible to achieve HA with a cluster there would be to many issues and it is and addition level of complexity to an already very comlplex MSCS product. A cluster cannot be VMotioned as well.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos