VMware Cloud Community
thanifan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HA, VC, and Licensing oddity after phyisical switch failure (1 host broken)

I've got 10 serviers connected to VirtualCenter currently, I'm fully licensed for 14 ESX servers (HA, DRS, Vmotion, etc), the servers are HP BL25P with 2 dual core Opterons

last night a switch died, and has since been fixed, while the switch was down it appears the HA agent failed on a 4 host cluster with only 8 VMs on it

I disabled HA on the cluster and re-enabled it but 1 host timed out during the operation, I SSH'd to it and rebooted it, it came up fine. I then reconfigured HA but during that operation a VM started being migrated to the box that had problems, the migration timed out at 18% and the VM became orphaned (it's still running fine)

to get the orphaned machine back into the cluster so I could just wipe the troublesome host I disconnected and removed the host, removed the orphan stub, and then tried to reconnect the host so the VM would be inventoried

so now I get the error:

connection failed for hostname in cluster: Not Enough CPU Licenses

I've verified my license on the VMWare page, I've downloaded it and restarted the license/vc server and the sql server, the only thing I haven't done is rebooted the host because the VM running on it is production and it's downtime window hasn't come around yet, I'd like to fix it before the downtime window but if need be I can just reboot the box

any ideas? I haven't called support yet since I have HP bought licenses and their support isn't quite as good as the forum Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cheeko
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

have you already restarted the management daemon?

service mgmt-vmware restart

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
cheeko
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

have you already restarted the management daemon?

service mgmt-vmware restart

0 Kudos
thanifan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

wow I feel stupid

yeah that worked, thanks!

(going to go bang my head on the rack)

0 Kudos
cheeko
Expert