VMware Cloud Community
jjonesjr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HA Error - could not reach isolation address

When I enable HA in my cluster, I get this error: "Issue detected on vm1.lan.wamtelco.com in WTC-HQ: Could not reach isolation address: none specified"

We have 5 hosts - all are 3.0.2 update 1. VC is also up-to-date.

I googled and searched the forums for this and can't find anything. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Does the Service Console default gateway on that host (vm1.lan.wamtelco.com) show up correctly in the VI client. Check in the Networking section of the Configuration tab for the host.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Did you happen to enter a "das.isolationaddress" within the advanced options, and not specify an IP address?

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
jjonesjr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nope, there are no options specified.

0 Kudos
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yeah, I figured that would be too easy.

Can each of the ESX servers ping their default gateway?

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!
jjonesjr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yep, all can reach the gw...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Does the Service Console default gateway on that host (vm1.lan.wamtelco.com) show up correctly in the VI client. Check in the Networking section of the Configuration tab for the host.

0 Kudos
jjonesjr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Booya! That was it. I must have passed right over that when I set the darn thing up. Once I put the default gw in for the service console on that host and re-enabled HA, the error went away.

Thanks!

Jim

0 Kudos
djc49939
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

My gateway matches, but cannot ping gw due to firewall restrictions or an ACL. can I tell it to ignore this?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If your gateway is not pingable you can't use its IP address for isolation detection. You'll have to specify some other IP for this purpose using the HA advanced option (das.isolationaddress).

0 Kudos
mforbes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Excellent advice, thanks for sharing....not sure how the default gateway got removed though.

Mike Forbes
0 Kudos
Jeff1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just upgraded to VC 2.5, and for my DMZ cluster, either the das.isolationaddress entry disappeared or the gateway of the Service console. Deeming the latter highly unlikely, I entered the correct das.isolationaddress, after which I was able to enable HA on all my hosts. Thanks for the advice!

0 Kudos
REALM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Anyone have a screenshot of where you enter an isolation address?

My default gateway is 192.168.10.1 but its not pingable. I'm just on a private network with absolutely nothing connected other than the following IP's:

192.168.10.16 (VC), 192.168.10.17 (ESX), 192.168.10.18 (ESX), 192.168.10.19 (ESX)

What am I doing wrong? Have same issue. Not a network guru. =/

0 Kudos
satish_lx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In VC inventory section right click on cluster >> edit settings >> VMware HA >> in botton side there is one button Advanced Option >> select empty box and manually type das.isolationaddress and put IP address.

Thanks

Satish Patel

- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Thanks Satish Patel - Journey toward "Virtual world"
0 Kudos
andreleibovici
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That worked for me!

0 Kudos