VMware Cloud Community
VMdawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HA/DRS Questions?

I've got 5 ESX3 hosts clustered with HA and DRS enabled. 4 of the 5 hosts have 1 DMZ connection each. My question is with DRS set to automatically migrate, will VC try and migrate a VM that requires an external NIC (i.e. webserver) to the host that doesn't have one...or is it smarter than that?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
whynotq
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

it will only migrate, as i understand it, if the resources are compatible. so if the network labels aren't the same on all ESX hosts it won't migrate the VM. You can test this by setting up a VMotion and seeing if the initial compatability tests are passed, if it fails then it won't move. You can also edit the DRS automation level for this specific VM and set it to "manual" within the Cluster settings.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
whynotq
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

it will only migrate, as i understand it, if the resources are compatible. so if the network labels aren't the same on all ESX hosts it won't migrate the VM. You can test this by setting up a VMotion and seeing if the initial compatability tests are passed, if it fails then it won't move. You can also edit the DRS automation level for this specific VM and set it to "manual" within the Cluster settings.

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just following on from 'Whynot', think of DRS basically in the same way you would VMotion.

All the usual suspects need to be in place.

port group labels

shared storage

VMdawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great recommendation on the vmotion test..."Unable to migrate from host. Currently connected network interface uses network "DMZ." I appreciate the help.

0 Kudos
whynotq
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I'm going to for a beer Stuart you're starting to scare me... Smiley Happy

Paul

MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

boo!