VMware Cloud Community
WCHSNetSpec
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HA Agent Errors

I'm getting HA agent errors on my ESX 3.5 cluster and each of my hosts. I can ping all the hosts by the server names. I was going to try disabling HA on the cluster and then re-enable it. Can I do that transparently? I also cannot migrate VMs from one host to another because of the HA error.

Thanks - Stephen

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you have all the same ESX build levels in your cluster? The reconfigure HA is basically configures the HA agent on the host. You have DNS set up properly? All hosts can ping each other by FQDN? The vCenter Server can do the same?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can reconfigure each host one at a time by right clicking on each host and choosing "reconfigure for HA". Also, you can go to the Cluster uncheck HA, which will disable HA on the cluster, then go back and enable it again.

I would think that HA wouldn't stop you from doing a vMotion. Can you give a little more detail?

0 Kudos
WCHSNetSpec
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I select the ESX host in the migrate wizzard I get a compatibility error "Unable to migrate from host x. The host is reporting errors in its attempts to provide HA support" and the next is grayed out so I can not continue. It does let me go through though when I select the cluster and not a particulat host. I tried drop and drag as well and I get the same error.

What does the "Reconfigure forVMWare HA" do exactly?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you have all the same ESX build levels in your cluster? The reconfigure HA is basically configures the HA agent on the host. You have DNS set up properly? All hosts can ping each other by FQDN? The vCenter Server can do the same?

0 Kudos
WCHSNetSpec
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, same build on all hosts. All ESX hosts and the vcenter server can ping each other by IP, name, and fqdn.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would disable HA on the cluster and try an uninstall of HA on the Host(s) with problems.

See this link

0 Kudos
WCHSNetSpec
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did a reconfigure for vmware HA on one of the hosts and it failed. I checked it 5 minutes later the HA errors were gone on the cluster and the hosts. The only other thing I did was set memory and CPU limits on 3 of my VMs. They were previously set to unlimited. I don't know if that has anything to do with the resolution or not.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

i'm glad to see you got it resolved. HA errors can sometimes be tricky to resolve.

Please consider awarding points for helpful or correct answers