VMware Cloud Community
mag01
Contributor
Contributor

Guest console error - Login (Username/Password) incorrect

I cannot open any guest consoles on a particular vi3 host , using the vi client. Connecting via virtual center or directly to the host makes no difference. The following message is displayed :

Error Connecting : Login (Username/Password) incorrect

Do you want to try again ?

Nothing has changed on the vi3 host, but I have rebooted the virtual center server due to patching. Other hosts reporting to this VC do not have a problem.

There are no errors in /var/log/secure, not sure what else to check/try.

Any help greatly appreciated....

0 Kudos
8 Replies
tgradig
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you patched Virtual Center; most of the time you have to upgrade the client before it will connect again.

0 Kudos
mag01
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I should have been clearer - I applied Microsoft OS patches to the VC server (Not vmware patches).

0 Kudos
giovanni_gallor
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Never seen this error but had strange errors connecting to consoles when dns name resolution from client to esx host didn't work well.

May not solve but, can you try to ping the ESX host name from your client and check that the right address is resolved ?

0 Kudos
mag01
Contributor
Contributor

Pinging the esx hostname from the clients returns the correct address, dns appears to be working correctly.

0 Kudos
mag01
Contributor
Contributor

I tried removing the host from virtual center, deleting the vpxuser id, then readding to virtual center - Still get the same error...

0 Kudos
mag01
Contributor
Contributor

This has been resolved by vmware support. Turns out it was my fault - after installing Virtual Center Patch 2 a while ago, this host would not reconnect to virtual center. I had to manually install vpxa, but managed to install the wrong version of the file....

Not sure why it has only just caused the problem to occur, but glad to have got it resolved without having to reboot the host.

0 Kudos
devlabman
Contributor
Contributor

I have this same issue. I applied patch 2 to the VC and my Infrastructure clients. All my host connected fine except for 2 of them, so I to applied the patch manually to those 2 hosts. They then connected fine but when going to the console, I get the same error and cannot log in. I also went through everything you mentioned, removing the host and reconnecting in the VC and trying the client straight to the host instead of the VC. I will put in a support call. Do you by chance have the steps they took to fix it so I can avoid waiting?

0 Kudos
ktarabocchia
Contributor
Contributor

I had this problem with 3.5 ESX Build 143128.

I called support and the solution was to restart xinetd and vmware-vmkauthd.

0 Kudos