VMware Cloud Community
jeyakarthika
Contributor
Contributor

Get Guest Os name From esx server

how to get the guest Host os from esx server host.

From esx server host , i need to find out the cpu usage of guest.

i have tried vmware-cmd command but that just displays the variable is invalid

The output of the vmware-cmd command is shown below

==========================================

vmware-cmd /vmfs/volumes/45e62ad4-94b799ee-dc53-00b0d0e125d4/Windows2003/Windows2003.vmx getresource cpu.usedsec

VMControl error -10: The specified property or variable is invalid or undefined

==================================

what i should to get the cpu usage of guest.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
giovanni_gallor
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

To get the CPU usage of a Virtual Machine from sc command line you can type:

esxtop

You will get host's VM list with their %USED (and many others) values.

Type man esxtop to get info on usage.

0 Kudos
jeyakarthika
Contributor
Contributor

what i should do to get the Guest host OS name from EsxServer host?

0 Kudos
Rajeev_S
Expert
Expert

You can view the CPU usage of the guest in the virtual infrastructure client and also some other parameters. it would be grphical.

0 Kudos
Jiriki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I guess there is no simple click-and-go soltution for your problem. All you know about your virtual machine is its MAC address (and some applications like cluster software for example might even change it). You can extract this information from the configuration file. If your ESX host is connected to the same LAN as your VMs, it might be possible to determine the IP address of your VM from this MAC address. Having its IP address you could probably get its hostname. SNMP could be a way to solve this problem.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/networkprotocolsip/f/convertipmacadd.htm

On the other hand the VMware API might be helpful too. It is possible to pass user-defined information between the Guest and the Host OS - at least this was possible with ESX Server 2.5.

\- Jiriki

Message was edited by:

Jiriki

0 Kudos
Jiriki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Forget the MAC -> IP -> Hostname resolutuion and have a look at the VMware Scripting API. You will find the document here:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/Scripting_API_23.pdf

As far as I understand, you need to install the Perl API on the service console (see page 14, ESX Server). Than you can pass user defined variables between your host and the VM (see page 73, GuestInfo Variables). VMware writes "...What you pass is up to you, but you might find it useful to pass items like the virtual machine's IP address, ... or machine name."

\- Jiriki

0 Kudos
jeyakarthika
Contributor
Contributor

other than esxtop command any other possible command is there

0 Kudos
jeyakarthika
Contributor
Contributor

Thank u

From Esx Server host I need to find out the Operating System name of Guest host.I have an Esx Server 3.0.

Message was edited by:

jeyakarthika

0 Kudos