VMware Cloud Community
fatbobsufc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

General Storage Questions

Hi I wonder if someone can help me I'm getting a little confused about storage. The question is in 2 parts:

1. I have a LUN on the SAN, and have created a VMFS volume from my first ESX server. I will be adding a second ESX server shortly, and will wish to use the LUN as shared storage (so I can V-Motion between and failover the VMs between the two servers). I have been trying to research the solution myself but am getting confused as to the definitions of RDM and VMFS. Will I be able to V-Motion and failover with a VMFS volume on the SAN?

2. The second part of the question relates to multipathing. I have two HBAs on my box, with two fibre channels each (RX,TX). I want to configure the system so that if one HBA fails it will automatically failover to the second. I thought this was the case but after testing (by unplugging fibres) I can see it is not. I can see that vmhba2:0:0 and vmhba2:1:0 both access esxLUN01, but vmhba1 is sat there doing nothing. I want vmhba1 to provide a backup route.

Hope someone can help thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There isn't too much to know here.

1) Present the first LUN you created to the second ESX server using the same LUN ID.

2) The multipathing software is built into ESX and should fail between paths provided you set the correct zoneing up and each path has access to the shared storage.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
fatbobsufc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wow! Didn't think this would be such a tricky question..... time to go and find someone to provide vmware support!!

0 Kudos
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There isn't too much to know here.

1) Present the first LUN you created to the second ESX server using the same LUN ID.

2) The multipathing software is built into ESX and should fail between paths provided you set the correct zoneing up and each path has access to the shared storage.

0 Kudos
James-D
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

RDM and VMFS are just the way that the LUN is formatted. You will be fine using the LUN in VMFS and VMotion will work as long as both servers have the same processors and VMware networks (and prviding you have Virtual Center) Just make sure both esx servers are connected to the LUN.

Here is a document on RDM and VMFS if you are interested.

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vmfs_rdm_perf.pdf

James

fatbobsufc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guys. I chased our SAN guy on this and he confirmed that the storage group needed 'resyncing'.

After this both HBAs could see the LUN.

Also good to know for sure I can point two ESX servers to a VMFS volume. Thanks again.

0 Kudos