VMware Cloud Community
kmeyer9
Contributor
Contributor

G5 ESX 3.5 Physical Memory Allocation?

We just recently built up our first G5, Quad Core box with ESX 3.5. It has 128gig of ram and we are using VC 2.5. After the build, in VC under the config/memory tab, it sees all 128gig. However, the system is allocating 68gig to the system and only 57gig to vm's. We changed the service console to 800mb. When I added a vm to the host, the system allocation increased and it still shows 57gig going to the vm's. This is only happening on the new G5. We have G4's, G3's and G2's that only use about 1.5gig to the system. On the host summary tab, it shows 68gig of memory in use when it only has a single vm on it using 1gig. I've spent quite a bit of time reading the documentation, but cannot find where I can set these parameters.

Thanks in advance for any info.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kmeyer9
Contributor
Contributor

Still looking for this answer. Anyone?

0 Kudos
jracicot
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever find an answer to this issue? I'm encountering the exact same issue too. (3 x DL-580G5 - 128GB RAM)

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Under the advanced VMkernel settings just unmark "VMkernel.Boot.force36BitMTRRMask" and reboot your ESX.

Regards

Joerg

'Remember if you found this or others answers helpful do not forget to award points by marking an answer as helpful or correct'

0 Kudos