VMware Cloud Community
PetervandenBosc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Fixed or autosensing on Fiberchannel Adapters Qlogic

Hello guys!

By default ESX3.0.1 loads 4GB drivers for Qlogic fiber channel adapters. The speed for the adapters is this fixed 4 GB or autosensing?

And if it is autosensing can i fix the speed?

Thnxs in advance!

regards, Peter van den Bosch Usefull? Award me a few points 😉
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BUGCHK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Make sure that all devices are set to autosensing in your fc environment.

You can ask N[/b] different people and get N+1[/b] different answers... Smiley Wink

Seriously.

It depends on the devices. There are instances (an MSA1000 on a 4 GigaBit FC switch) where it makes sense to lock the switch port on a specific speed or mode, because autonegotiation sometimes does not work properly:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00793737&printver=true

On the other hand, I have been told by a customer that HP wanted to lock all ports to a specific speed, but it did not work with an old (HP-UX) server - they had to return to auto-negotiate.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Standard is autosensing (check in bios).

I would leave it on "autosensing" when the fc switch is 4 Gb too and configured to "auto".

Just my opinion.

ITThies
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I would apply to christianZ and leave the setting to autosensing too.

----- Please feel free so give some points for a correct / helpful answer! Thank you!
BUGCHK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

You can ask N[/b] different people and get N+1[/b] different answers... Smiley Wink

Seriously.

It depends on the devices. There are instances (an MSA1000 on a 4 GigaBit FC switch) where it makes sense to lock the switch port on a specific speed or mode, because autonegotiation sometimes does not work properly:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00793737&printver=true

On the other hand, I have been told by a customer that HP wanted to lock all ports to a specific speed, but it did not work with an old (HP-UX) server - they had to return to auto-negotiate.

0 Kudos