VMware Cloud Community
turnbulm
Contributor
Contributor

Failed to deploy template: Operation timed out

I have a VI3 installation with ESX on a Dell 2850 server connected to a NetApp iSCSI datastore. There is a template in the datastore that I'm trying to deploy.

Any time I try to deploy the template I get an error (after about 15 minutes) saying "Failed to deploy template: Operation timed out". There is still activity on the storage at the time this error occurs.

I know the deployment will take time on the storage side as it creates the disk, but surely this shouldn't cause a timeout?

Is there any way to either increase the timout, or something else to make this work?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
49 Replies
kgouldsk
Contributor
Contributor

I just did this myself - my template deployments were showing no progress, and didn't get the immediate VM creation when deployment starts, and would timeout after 15 minutes. Stopped, Started, re-read, stopped, started license server, and retried the deployment and now VM appears immediately and deployment is progressing.

0 Kudos
Weatherman
Contributor
Contributor

Awesome! Glad to hear that worked for you!

0 Kudos
kgouldsk
Contributor
Contributor

It sounds like someone should kick this in as a bug of some form - since I have a call open on this issue, along with another concern, I'll mention it.

Call SR369867

0 Kudos
Weatherman
Contributor
Contributor

Great idea. Thanks for doing that.

0 Kudos
adki30
Contributor
Contributor

Using the procedure above with the lic server fixed mine too...

I would say there is your bug..

0 Kudos
bwallace
Contributor
Contributor

FYI:

I was receiving this error when trying to clone a template from a lab server to a production server over the network. I attached the ESX (3.0.1 patched to current as of today) to the Production VCenter 2 host. Timeout error when cloning template.

This is a one time clone (Dev to Prod) so I am moving this template over the network (I know... I know). I received the timeout error. After a little looking around I found that the Dev server (HP DL-380 G4) was autonegotiating 100-Half...

I forced the nic to 100 full and the clone worked first try.

Just in case someone else has this happen.

0 Kudos
jgibner
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar setup to the first post, with NetAPP and Dell. After changing the SCSI rescan and timeout values to 50000 and 10000, i immediately was able to deploy the templates to VM's. Thanks all for the suggestions.

0 Kudos
groundLoop
Contributor
Contributor

FYI - We just experienced a "deploy template timeout," our first. We are running a 2-node ESX 3.02 cluster with an EMC CX500 back end. Connectivity is FibreChannel.

Shutting down the VirtualCenter Server, restarting the License Server, and then restarting VC resolved the issue. I wish I had thought to test the deployment after just restarting the VC server (not the license server), but it was too late by the time I thought of it. That said, the process outlined above worked for us.

Thanks, groundLoop

0 Kudos
aneil_singh
Contributor
Contributor

I too have this problem, it gets to 95% then "Operation timed out." takes place.

I have tried the reboot of the servers as being suggested. (lic, VC.)

I have now jus increased the SCSI timeout setting as was suggested as well.

I will let the forum know.

I wish VMware would step in here and resolve this issue... As it is sure a repeatable issue.

0 Kudos
edonk
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem, none of the solutions proposed seem to work.

This issue has many postings and has been open now for over a year without a solution and without intervention from VMWare. VM deployment from template is an important technology to defend one of the main reasons for using VMWare - easy server deployment. How can I convince people to change from their current deployment methods such as Ghost to VMWare if deploy from template doesn't work in VMWare?

Emile

0 Kudos