VMware Cloud Community
rakem
Contributor
Contributor

Extending partitions problem

Hi guys,

We have a bunch of servers that need to have extra space added to their drives. Some servers its the C: drive, other servers it might be the 😧 E: or F: drive.

I have followed instructions from here:

http://www.vmware-land.com/Resizing_Virtual_Disks.html

Using the first method with Gparted.

The problem is that it can only seem to resize the C: drive which shows up as /dev/sda1 in GParted.

If i need to extend a D drive how do i do that?

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

How are your drives configured? Are your 😧 E: F: actual separate hard drives or different partitions on one large drive.

If they are separate drives, they will be represented on the vmfs as separate files. Usually, it will be named as: name_of_vm.vmdk name_of_vm_1.vmdk name_of_vm_2.vmdk, etc. Use vmkfstools or the gui to extend the correct drive, and then use gparted or diskpart to expand the filesystem to match the new drive size.

If they are partitions, then the story is different. You can use vmkfstools or the gui to increase the size of the overall disk. Then, you will have to use gparted, to move and resize the partitions, as the added space is at the back of the disk. You'll need to increase your last drive, and then move it, before you can expand the partition before it.

Hope that makes sense,

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos