VMware Cloud Community
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Expanding vmdk file

I want to expand a vmdk file.

Do I use the vmkfstools -X on the -flat or non -flat file?

This is a W2K3 Std. OS, I assume I will have to use some 3rd party utility to make windows see the additional space in the C: drive.

Thanks in advance for your help

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ilatimer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You use it on the non-flat vmdk file. I use acronis to expand the partition in the OS.

admin
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks, I was able to extend the vmdk.

I do not have acronis, diskpart will not let me extend a system volume. Are there any utilities that will let me do this, or can I not extend the C: drive?

0 Kudos
bister
Expert
Expert

You cannot extend an Windows system partition with DISKPART by default. You can map the VMDK containing your system partition you with to expand to another VM as "data" partition. Boot this VM and extend the system partition, which now is seen as non-system-partition.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

For details on what bister mentioned, see http://www.vmprofessional.com/index.php?content=2k3resize

admin
Immortal
Immortal

Well, this did not work for me.

Perhaps it was due to the fact that I made the partition dynamic before I attempted it.

This was just a test VM (nothing on it), I will destroy this VM and play with this some more when I have more time

0 Kudos
AlexPT
Contributor
Contributor

You need to follow it precisely. He actually left out that it seems like you need to assisgn the drive a letter. After I did that it worked. It didn't trying to manipulate it without a drive letter.

In short you can extend a vmdk with the OS on it!

Nice!

0 Kudos