VMware Cloud Community
CB1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Expanding Memory - Insuffcient lun space

I have a virtual machine that was set at 2gb of memory. I try to expand this memory to 4gb and I got a insuffcient lun space error. The server is on a lun that had 3.9gb of free space. I was wondering what actually happens when expanding memory allocation? I was able to expand it to 3gb and now I have 995mb of free space so it took up another 3gb of lun space eventhough I already have 2gb of memory allocated before. I wasn't aware that it used 1 to 1 disk lun disk space for memory allocation. Can someone explain why if I add another 2gb to memory it wouldn't just change the 2gb to 4gb and just take another 2 gb of lun space.

thanks Charlie

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kalim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If you don't want vmware to allocate a .vswp file, you should set your memory reservation to the same amount as your memory limit.

By default, the system creates the swap file for a virtual machine when the virtual machine is powered on, and deletes the swap file when the virtual machine is powered off. The size of this file is "Limit - Reservation" (If Reservation = 0 .... the .vswp file = memory allocated)

Message was edited by:

Kalim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
conyards
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I'm afraid I can't answer your direct question, however to get around this in an environment where you are not overcommiting memory you can allocate all the memory resources to the VM thereby removing the vswp file from the LUN.

Simon

https://virtual-simon.co.uk/
0 Kudos
Kalim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If you don't want vmware to allocate a .vswp file, you should set your memory reservation to the same amount as your memory limit.

By default, the system creates the swap file for a virtual machine when the virtual machine is powered on, and deletes the swap file when the virtual machine is powered off. The size of this file is "Limit - Reservation" (If Reservation = 0 .... the .vswp file = memory allocated)

Message was edited by:

Kalim

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Was the VM powered off when you took the LUN space reading? The VM swap file is only present when the VM is powered on....which would explain the behaviour you're seeing.

0 Kudos
luizhbedin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

100 % correct.

That´s why you´re getting the error messages. Also, try to free up some space, and take care of your snapshots, they can increase size and fill all your storage space causing all vms to hang.

:smileygrin:

0 Kudos