VMware Cloud Community
rucky
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Exchange 2003, cold clone or P2v with services (disabled)?

Hi Guys

I have asked this question before, but i am still confused.

I am not 100% sure if i should do a cold clone of exchange servers, p2v it with services disabled or (create it from scratch) - i dont really wana go this route as this is going to be a tedious job and also we might be upgrading to 2007 in few months time (not sure), so i could rebuild from scratch then.

For now.

1. which option should i go , from the above? and why?

2. should i have my exchane databases on the vmdk, or put them on RDM's? why

3. any other considerations, while doing this?

Please guide me, i will be very grateful for your help.

Regards

Rucky

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HughBorg707
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I would shut down all non essential services just to make things move a bit quicker and run less of a risk of corrupting something upon initial startup.

Why the move to virtual if you are going to possibly rebuild soon anyway?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If your Exchange is not a DC, you can also use a P2V "live" with services stopped.

But a cold P2V could be more safe.

Be sure so have reduced the mailbox and log size.

Andre

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

2. should i have my exchane databases on the vmdk, or put them on RDM's? why

If your Exchange is already in SAN you could use RDM to reduce the migration time (you have to P2V only the C: drive).

You you plan to use a MSCS for Exchange, you could use RDM (to be ready for the cluster).

Otherwise there isn't a real reason to use RDM instead of VMDK.

Andre

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
HughBorg707
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I would shut down all non essential services just to make things move a bit quicker and run less of a risk of corrupting something upon initial startup.

Why the move to virtual if you are going to possibly rebuild soon anyway?

0 Kudos
rucky
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi hughbog, sorry rebuild in virtual world i meant.

0 Kudos
HughBorg707
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Another thing you could do is take the opportunity of moving to a "new" machine by just creating a new 2003 VM with exchange on it and nothing else. (keep it really clean). Then just move your mailboxes over to the new server. That's assuming of course you're not running a lot of other programs on the server.

Remember Exchange 2007 doesn't support in-place upgrades, so 2007 will have to be deployed on a different "box" or "vm" anyway.

0 Kudos
rucky
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Mate, sorry we do have few other, like puremessge and all.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Mate, sorry we do have few other, like puremessge and all.

I don't agree with hughborg. I take the opposite approach, and we just had this happen where I work.

we had a few AD / Exchange machines that needed to be migrated. Rather than migrate the machines, they chose to rebuild as NEW. Bad move. For one the settings that were already in place were not transferred. So YEARS of tweaking, getting things right and registry updates and settings had to be recreated.

Had these machines simply been p2v we wouldn't have had to spent the last month (and we STILL aren't 100% to where we were) trying to figure out where issues were. There were many updates, kb articles, and settings that were in the registry of that old machine, and simply migrating would have saved us MANY hours of work and thus problems.

Therefore I say p2v is better than a simple moving of databases and files over to a NEW environment, because that NEW environment things like system tweaks, power settings, screen saver, often those overlooked tweaks can significant, and then DNS / DHCP servers were migrated and the data was in tact, but the exclusions, and extra things like mailhost and domain weren't included, so those had to be done over, which takes time.

So my advice is to migrate especially with a large system like Exchange, I don't think you want to spent the next serveral weeks fixing what you ALREADY fixed before. All you want to do is move it to a VM, right?

Simplest solution is a p2v, and like I always say.. you get a free backup in the process. That physical machine can be a failsafe if the p2v doesn't work and you can do the p2v conversion later if you have to. I prefer making things easy rather than hard.

0 Kudos
FMCUSystemAdmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

just my two cents ...

We took the safe route and P2V'd our Exchange server with the services disabled. It was a little bumpy when we first started it up, but we've been running our virtualized Exchange box for about 2 months now with no issues.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
rucky
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks to all our answers

I have virtualised my 1st of 3 sql servers, first one have seemed to go fine.

we might be getting rid of inhouse exchange servers.

Thanks for all your replies.

Regrads

Rucky

0 Kudos