VMware Cloud Community
desims
Contributor
Contributor

Error when trying to add a host to Virtual Infrastructure Client

Hello All,

Has anyone seen the error message below? We are receiving the following error message when we try to add a new host to Virtual Infrastructure Client.

Error: The host type is not supported or was added to a cluster but does not support clustering features.

The device appears on the client as disconnected. We have Infrastructure Client version 2.01 and all of our other hosts are 3.0.1 and out leaders purchased ESX 3.5 which the 2 blade servers we are trying to add were created with.

My counter part and I are wondering if the errors are license and compatability related. Do we need to update our virtual client to get this to run. We can view the web page and see the information fine. I am new to VMWare so i apologize if this questions is basic.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
markvor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

if you're are

going to connect to an ESX 3.5 Server you have to do that with VC 2.5. The VC 2.01 is not working with ESX 3.5

Markus

desims
Contributor
Contributor

OK, Thanks for that information. The other servers that are on the older version of VMWARE do we need to migrate them to 3.5 or can they stay with the current version until such a time that we can do a migration.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

You only have to update the VC in order to add 3.5 host to it. THe other ESX hosts can stay at their current version.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
desims
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks I appreciate you guys taking time to answer my questions.

0 Kudos