VMware Cloud Community
gilbertmc
Contributor
Contributor

Error when I'm trying to Edit Settings on VMWare Infrastructure Client 2.5

When I want to Edit Settings on VMWare Infrastructure Client 2.5 I get this error: "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt." I tried to uninstall VMWare Infrastructure Client 2.5 and then reinstall but it has the same problem. How can I perform a clean uninstall or any other suggestion?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
38 Replies
kschurig
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue at my side with Lenovo T60 and Windows XP SP2 fully patched. On a different client (HP Evo N800c, also with Windows XP SP2) it works without trouble. Seems to be a problem with something of the lenovo stuff installed ...

Please kepp us informed if you have any idea how to solve this issue.

Thanks and reagards,

Kai-Uwe

0 Kudos
smashp
Contributor
Contributor

I have 3 vista installs and a coworker of mine has one. We get different errors on all 4 installs.

on all 4 we get the protected memory errors connecting dirrectly to our ESX servers.

On two of our installs connecting to virtual center works perfect. On the other two when you connect to virtual center and access certain things, such as configuration of a vm or the console, you get debug errors that if you click through the numerous errors, you have full functionality.

All 4 vista installs are fully up to date and patched.

0 Kudos
marvinthebassma
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

my solution :

I deinstalled the Intel PROSet/Wireless Network Connection Software completely. Intel 3945ABG.

Now the bug has gone !

The I reinstalled it (driver only) ... and it still works.

Martin

0 Kudos
guardguy
Contributor
Contributor

Marvin has it right! Just was finding what he is saying in another post too. lol. You can either uninstall the wireless software of modify it so that you are only using the driver.

Thanks Marvin!

If anyone is still having problems or needs help on the wireless software let me know and I will help you out best I can.

0 Kudos
guardguy
Contributor
Contributor

sorry this was a copy of above post.

0 Kudos
jims_tx
Contributor
Contributor

You can also resolve this issue by eliminating the Intel software from your path by using a batch script or by removing it from the global PATH environment variable. This avoids the uninstall of the wireless drivers. I think people using the Intel Wireless ABGN will find that many other applications will fail spontaneously upon this update.

Here is the contents of my batch file:

PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS

"C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher\VpxClient.exe"

YMMV and HTH

0 Kudos
ChadMarkley
Contributor
Contributor

YOU GUYS ROCK!! It totally works great!

Thanks for everyone's help!

Chad

0 Kudos
kschurig
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

yes, removing the Intel Wireless stuff from the global path environment solves the issue and i can now use the VI client and the Intel Wireless application.

Has anybody reported this issue to Lenovo and/or vmware support right now?

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help!

Regargs,

Kai-Uwe

0 Kudos
smashp
Contributor
Contributor

Well that Fixexd one of my notebooks, but my other two vista insatalls are desktops with no wireless software and they also experience this problem.

Their path is clean as a whistle

0 Kudos
0Plapitine0
Contributor
Contributor

I might have found a source of the problem.

The "VpxClient.GroupPropViewGetting Started" registry key under

If that key is set to "True" when the client starts, opening a "Console" or "Edit Settings" window crashes the client.

If that key is missing, or set to "False" when the client starts, the client works fine.

If you change the state of that option (turn it off) while the client is running, you can still open consoles etc, but when you quit and re-run the client, it stops working.

I'm assuming that there is an array keeping track of the status of each new "Getting Started" page, and that if the first one is turned off, it creates an exception in initializing the array, which results in an illegal memory call when a sub-windows is created. Probably a misplaced IF/THEN bracket.

Fortunately, leaving the page on has no functional ramifications, and the workaround is trivial.

I had a case open on the issue, and VMWare tech support has this info.

0 Kudos
0Plapitine0
Contributor
Contributor

X

0 Kudos
olczak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

I have a Lenovo T61 and had same problem..As advices given in previous post replies didn't worked for me, I opened a case. I just get this answer today, it worked for me:

copy these two files:

C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\2.5\libeay32.dll

C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\2.5\ssleay32.dll

To

C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Launcher

0 Kudos
guardguy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys for giving some good info on this. I know this wasn't my problem to start out with but it has helped out lots of people.

Olczak.. Did you still have your wireless Pro Intel software running while doing this move of files? Or uninstalled? This might be an easy fix for people in the future who don't want to touch the wireless part.

0 Kudos
olczak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, my Intel Wireless software is still installed on my Thinkpad.......

0 Kudos
cgrvy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is this still an issue for anyone?

I have tried the 3 solutions that are provided here (copy the .dll's, change the registry, remove the Intel/Pro Wireless) but there is no improvement.

I am running XP on a Lenovo 3000 N100 Laptop

0 Kudos
Aneil
Contributor
Contributor

IBM T42 with XP and this worked for me as well.

Hello,

I have a Lenovo T61 and had same problem..As advices given in previous

post replies didn't worked for me, I opened a case. I just get this

answer today, it worked for me:

copy these two files:

C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\2.5\libeay32.dll

C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\2.5\ssleay32.dll

To

0 Kudos
giangerg
Contributor
Contributor

The following post fixed the VI Client on my IBM ThinkPad T42. I could not edit settings for VM machines, view console, and received the following error message.

Symptoms:

1) Edit Settings failed to open

2) Console mode failed to open and VI Client would close.

3) Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indiction that other memory is corrupt.

Solution:

Copy libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll from

C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\2.5

to

Enjoy!

Thank you!!!

0 Kudos
kschurig
Contributor
Contributor

Ich bin vom 23.06.08 bis zum 27.06.08 im Urlaub.

E-Mails werden nicht weitergeleitet und können erst ab dem 30.06.08 wieder bearbeitet werden.

Vertretung im Bereich PS-Support ist Herr Thomas Müller.

Freundliche Grüße

Kai-Uwe Schurig

0 Kudos
affanzbasalamah
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I am using Thinkpad T61 with Vista. I also experienced the same problems. Finally the problem solved by copying two files to that directory.

Thank to all for solving my problem.

-affan

0 Kudos