VMware Cloud Community
gilbertmc
Contributor
Contributor

Error when I'm trying to Edit Settings on VMWare Infrastructure Client 2.5

When I want to Edit Settings on VMWare Infrastructure Client 2.5 I get this error: "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt." I tried to uninstall VMWare Infrastructure Client 2.5 and then reinstall but it has the same problem. How can I perform a clean uninstall or any other suggestion?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
38 Replies
smashp
Contributor
Contributor

Im getting the Same Error on two seperate fully updated windows vista machines.

I do not get this error on another win 2k3 server using the vi client

Its a dot net 2.0 bug in the code i imagine

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I can pretty much guarantee you are running Vista on a box designed for XP and Vista is NOT a supported OS, especially for VM Ware software.

Therefore you aren't going to get much help on this, as long as you use Vista.

I had to revert to XP because I had MANY problems utilzing Vista... It has a LOT of work before I try it again for anything. Even RC1 SP1 didn't help..

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

It's your OS, not the VI client software. Let me guess, Vista.?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I'd agree that the VI client is not as stable on Vista as on XP/W2K3, but it (business and enterprise editions) is supported for the VI 2.5 client (on 32 bit windows only) - .

0 Kudos
gilbertmc
Contributor
Contributor

I use Windows XP Pro SP2 fully updated. Before using Vista, I prefer to use MAC OS X Leopard.

0 Kudos
gilbertmc
Contributor
Contributor

I've installed .NET Framework 3.5

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6&displa...

and I now it works perfectly VMWare Infrastructure Client 3.5

0 Kudos
ChadMarkley
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I am running an IBM Thinkpad T60, 3Gb RAM and Windows XP SP2. I am getting the same memory error when trying to select "Edit Settings" and then the client crashes.

I installed .net 3.0 but the problem persists. I tried to downgrade to the 2.0 client but I can't manage my 3.5 servers with the 2.0 client! It forces me to upgrade to the 2.5 client.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Chad

PS Oh, here is the error I am getting

0 Kudos
guardguy
Contributor
Contributor

Same as ChadMarkley except only 2GB of RAM. Also get the error more then just editing the settings. Get also when trying to connect to the console.

0 Kudos
ChadMarkley
Contributor
Contributor

Last night I tried removing .NET 3.5 and 3.0. This didn't fix anything. In fact, it made it worse!!

0 Kudos
guardguy
Contributor
Contributor

Uninstalled .net 3.5, 3, 2 and then let the client reinstall 2 with no luck. Going to start tackling some of the lenovo software and novell. I am able to run this on an HP desktop and testing HP laptop soon.

0 Kudos
guardguy
Contributor
Contributor

Tested and working on HP laptop. Uninstalled almost all of the IBM/lenovo software. Still no luck Smiley Sad

Installed VI client in a vm on lenovo laptop and works fine. Some little setting has to be it.

0 Kudos
ChadMarkley
Contributor
Contributor

The irony is sick on this one! I too was able to run the 2.5 client w/o issue on an old junky HP laptop. But it won't run on my smoking fast IBM T60!!

I am going to take a shot at the Lenovo website and see what I can find. This is totally debilitating considering I now have 4 customers running ESX 3.5 in one iteration or another!

Chad

0 Kudos
guardguy
Contributor
Contributor

Well still trying to figure this one out. Got a T61 and doesn't work on that one too. Messed with as many services as I could and still nothing. For now it is sad but works using the client in a xpvm in workstation. Put filemon on and still can't figure out what is closing the application.

0 Kudos
ChadMarkley
Contributor
Contributor

Too funny. I am also running an XPVM in Wks 6.0 to manage my boxes. This is lame but I can't find ANYTHING else out there where anyone is reporting this issue. Did you contact Vmware support to see what they had on this? Or have you only tried the forums?

0 Kudos
guardguy
Contributor
Contributor

Have only tried the forums so far. Looking at what other software that cause these error are doing to fix the problem. If not fixed today we are going to call.

0 Kudos
marvinthebassma
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

same problem here. Lenovo T60 doesn't work, DELL Latitude D610 works with VI Client 2.5.

Martin

0 Kudos
ChadMarkley
Contributor
Contributor

Guardianguy, have you called support yet? Keep us all posted.

0 Kudos
gilbertmc
Contributor
Contributor

Still having the same problem

0 Kudos
guardguy
Contributor
Contributor

No luck yet on finding out what it is. Can't put a ticket in yet bc we still haven't finalized our deal. I hope it is done by monday. Then I will put a ticket in.

0 Kudos