VMware Cloud Community
tellan
Contributor
Contributor

Error reading the images folder installing ESX3.5

Hi there,

New around here and probably my question is not relevant...

I am installing ESX3.5 upgrade 3 for the first time and the server reads the CD create it from the ISO I downloaded from VMware, pass the point of selection if using a wui or command line. When it goes for the installation after answering the question about language and country, it fails to continue and is requesting a media with the images folder with the Linux ISO installable. I verified that this folder is in the CD I created before, but it looks that is not reading the CD driver form some reason.

My problem is this server doesn't have a floppy where I can install the drivers for the CD, but I copy all the information on the CD to a USB driver but isn't reading it.

Is there any other way to install the ESX3.5?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I am sure you have already tried this, burn a new CD from ISO image. Try again.

Tom Halligan

0 Kudos
tellan
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Tm,

Yes I did it and also tried with the ISO on an USB drive....

None works I am looking to load it on a HDD folder. The interesting part is I was able to load ESXi 3.5 Upload 3 with no problems.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Could be a flaky CD drive like you said. I have a USB CD/DVD drive which I keep in my car, works fine installing ESX.

You could install it over the network via Kickstart or the EDA (http://vmware.com/appliances/directory/1216) which is an ESX Deployment Virtual Appliance which is based on the Ultimate Deployment Appliance (A fave from my past)

You might want to try another CD drive first.

peterdlu
Contributor
Contributor

any idea how to get microsoft office onto the virtual machine?

0 Kudos
tellan
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Lightbulb,

I tried already a second CD but didn't try the Kickstart. I will let you know.

Thanks

0 Kudos
tellan
Contributor
Contributor

As an ISO you can use it as DVD for your Virtual machine, as CD or DVD, you can map your DVD/CD to the driver the host server has.

0 Kudos