VMware Cloud Community
acsifl
Contributor
Contributor

Error messages at Store Management request

hello,

Configuration:

4 servers ESX HP PROLIANT DL380G5 with two internal disks in RAID 0-1, total size 36Go

1 storage disks models HP MSA 1500CS with 20 LUN

ESX 2.5.4 Build 39751

One only one server, I have errors message during a request "RESCAN SAN" on "Storage Management: Disk & LUN Configuration", many errors returned:

Translating from CHS to LBA with a cylinder xxxx not in range xxxx

I have also another strange error

Disk system vmhba3:0:0 contains 8 partitions system for a total size of 13 Go

The logical free space has a total size of 86,62Go greater than the capacity of internal disks, very strange.

When I tried to create a volume with this free space the tool rejected my request "many errors occurred.."

To fix the problem, I :

\- disconnected fiber cable

\- reboot the server

\- switched off the server, unplug et plug the internal disks

\- in Linux mode I tried to fix the errors with "fdisk"

At this time, I have only as fix to reinstall the server .

thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mrd
Contributor
Contributor

Bump.....got the same problem.

I've got it on the local drive holding the linux partitions.

If I look in the mui it's using 186% of 33Gb Smiley Happy

Anybody got a solution?

/mrd

0 Kudos
Safir
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

According to VMware support, possible causes are :

1. A LUN has been extended from the SAN-side without a rescan, thus the geometry known to ESX is invalid.

2. A LUN presented to ESX is bigger than 2 TB; this is a limit in the underlying SCSI addressing which is not easy to solve

(reference: http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/vectors/2004_2tblun.pdf). ESX only supports LUNs that are smaller than 2TB. This applies also to RDMs.

3. A LUN presented to ESX has an invalid partition table referencing partitions out of the disk boundaries - in that case it's probably an unformatted LUN and it's just a matter of zeroing the LUN.

4. (EMC-specific) a concatenated MetaLUN is presented as an RDM for a Windows host. According to EMC, you cannot present a concatenated MetaLUN to any Windows hosts as a primary or system partition. If you are presenting concatenated metaLUNs to a Windows host you must format it as a secondary (extended) partition in Windows. Failure to properly configure the SAN, or failure to properly specify extended partition in Windows will cause the error.

0 Kudos