VMware Cloud Community
Bachel
Contributor
Contributor

Error message: "Error connecting to /vmfs/volumes/.../... .vmx because the VMX is not started."

Hi,

I contact you because i have a problem with a VM on an ESX Server 3.5

I tried to clone to template from a VM and I got this error message: "operation failed since another task is in progress".

So, I tried to reset/power off this VM but I got the same message.

Now, I can't do nothing, I can't ping it and when I open the console, I got this error message: "Error connecting to /vmfs/volumes/.../... .vmx because the VMX is not started."

Thanks for your help

Regards

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

Did you try to shutdown the VM completly and restart it?

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
virtualprince
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did u try restarting the vpxa and hostd services ?

Thanks, Suresh
0 Kudos
Bachel
Contributor
Contributor

Yes the restart of the mgmt-vmware service resolved my VM error message.

But i still have problems to clone my VM and i got the error message: "Operation time out".

Maybe, i have problems of resources with my ESX because i have messages "changed resource allocation" for the others VM and messages "alarm host memory usage" too.

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Welcome to the forums. Moved to ESX 3.5 forum.

It does sound like you have some resource contention going on. I would investigate this first before going much further. Time outs either happen due to contention issues or management agents crashing continuously. You can determine which by monitor log files.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos