VMware Cloud Community
Eire09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Error connecting to /vmfs/volumes/469536ee-a386c091-687b-0017a44cd7f7/vmname/vmname.vmx because the VMX is not started.

Hi,

I got this issue twice in the past week for two different VM's. Both VM's are running on different hosts as well. The error message is "Error connecting to /vmfs/volumes/469536ee-a386c091-687b-0017a44cd7f7/vmname/vmname.vmx because the VMX is not started."

Has anyone come across this? I'm a bit concerned about it seeing as it has happened to two production VM's.

To resolve this issue I had to reboot the host.

Can anyone think of a reason why this is occurring?

Regards,

Pedro

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mmathurakani
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Pedro,

I am sure you would want to read this post: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/124410

There are a number of reasons why this occurs. It could be due to bios update issues, processor issues , cdrom issues, or if the name of the storage volume in the VIC does not match that expected by

VMware/vmx. This can be due to a previous SAN snapshots. So please read the thread and find the possibilities.

Hope it resolves your issue

amittul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi ,

Check registering this VM and see... if the issue resole.

Is that happen after some particular task you perform on VM like patching, Cloning, Vmotion and so on ...

Do let me know

0 Kudos
Eire09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by registering the VM? No there was nothing happening on either of these servers when the issue occurred.

0 Kudos
amittul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks the way u can resolve the issue . But for RCA you need to send me the logs with time stamp so that i can let you know the root cause .... for this issue

0 Kudos