VMware Cloud Community
djn
Contributor
Contributor

Error configuring virtual switch vmkernel ports on ESX 3.5 servers.

Have a question regarding mvkernel ports under ESX 3.5. We are trying to configure two vmkernel ports to use our storage subnet. This subnet is used for both NFS and iSCSI connections. When we tried to add the two ports to the same virtual switch using different IP addresses on the same subnet we received the following error:

Error during configuration of the host: You can not create two or more vmkernal nics on the same subnet. A vmkernal nic with the name NFS Connectivity already exists in that subnet: xx.xxx.xxx.0/255.255.255.0.

I was going to research the issue and had the another administrator add the NFS connectivity vmkernel port to a different virtual switch. This switch has no other vmkernel ports. We received the same error.

This worked under ESX 3.0. We use both NFS connectivity for templates/isos and on a few machines we use iSCSI for virtual hosts that have large drives. We were also looking at using iSCSI on remote ESX servers for BCP/DR. Is there a way around this? Or am i going to need to have my storage and networking groups build new vlans and stoargae subnets? The later is actually possible, but will delay our 3.0 to 3.5 migration for 6 months to a year.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SuryaVMware
Expert
Expert

What level are you with ESX 3.5? is it vanilla? I mean is it the plain ESX 3.5.0 with no U?

If so this is a know issue with ESX 3.5 first release and is fixed in some upgrade at a later point. I dont remember the with U though. Better upgrade to the latest build and you should see this working.

-Surya

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

You can only have one vmkernel port on a subnet. Whether that is on the same vSwitch, or different does not matter, only one per segment is allowed.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Makes sense. All your traffic is going to traverse the same network no matter what the logical structure is.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Just a silly quetion really why are you using both iSCSI and NFS?

For this type of deployment I would use NFS at the ESX level then use iSCSI within the VM's using MS iSCSI inititators, provided by the storage -- in this case being a NetApp Filer

0 Kudos