VMware Cloud Community
HBBC
Contributor
Contributor

Er, very urgent problem, I've given service console & vmkernal same IP!!!!

I've managed to mistakenly assign an IP to the service console which was already assigned to the vmkernal on the same vswitch!

Frustrating thing is, I have TWO other service consoles on the box, but I think it's the DG that's breaking it.

I can't change the ip from the console (I have iLO) as it just hangs whenever I try to run ANY esxcfg commands.

I'm really stuck - been messing iwth it for 2 hrs now (and it's 03:40 here in UK at the mo).

All this was whilst I was CAREFULLY shifting things over to VLANS having TESTED it on a test pair of ESX boxes Id' built!

Frustrating as hell, a single typo in the ip address :-(((

Any suggestions guys??? I could REALLY do with getting this going by morning!!

Paul

0 Kudos
25 Replies
HBBC
Contributor
Contributor

Well, not sure if I'd call it "fun" after all this time but I'm almost there I think!

I think the issues (after the obvious stupid duplicate IP problem) seem to be revolving around VLAN "funnies".

I moved the server NICs to another switch port (which I know doesn't yet have any vlan configs).

I then deleted everything again - Ran the following commands:

Esxcfg-vswitch -D "Service Console" vSwitch0

Esxcfg-vswitch -U vmnic1 vSwitch0

Esxcfg-vswitch -d vSwitch0

Esxcfg-vswif -d vswif0

Then:

Esxcfg-vswitch -a vSwitch0

Esxcfg-vswitch -A "Service Console" vSwitch0

Esxcfg-vswitch -L vmnic1 vSwitch0

Esxcfg-vswif -a vswif0 -p "Service Console" -i

and did a full reboot for good measure.

However, a "niggle" before I proceed any further is that, after the reboot, the console is showing an IP addres of one of the "old" IPs on a deleted vswif1 interface. Where does it pick this up from?

Rebooted a second time to make absolutely sure and still there...

Paul

0 Kudos
HBBC
Contributor
Contributor

Remember what it was likely to be just after posting - it gets that IP from a DNS lookup it does itself.

I'd edited the DNS entry for it in anticipation of changing it to another VLAN yesterday...

right, now to start reconfiguring things again, and try to get the RIGHT ip addresses this time in the RIGHT VLANS!

Hopefully some of this is useful to others anwyay...

Paul

0 Kudos
HBBC
Contributor
Contributor

Still doing my bl**dy head in when trying to get this configured with VLANs.

Can someone give me a clue as to the order of things here given the following current config:

vSwitch0

Service Console vswif0 72.26.9.7 255.255.0.0 vmnic1

vSwitch1

Service Console 2 vswif1 172.19.1.27 255.255.255.0 vmnic2

vSwitch2

Service Console 3 vsiwf2 172.19.1.37 255.255.255.0 vmnic3

Service Console Default Gateway is 172.26.2.50 (all DGs are on a single L3 core switch)

All physical switch ports are configured with tagged vlans 510 & 520.

Ultimately, I want the service console(s) within 172.19.1.n/24 on VLAN510 and vmkernals in 172.19.2.n/24 n VLAN 520.

AT the moment, ANY change I make to the main Service Console results in loss of connectivity and 15min or so execution times of basic commands within the service console accessed via the RiLO connection.

I must be doing something obviously wrong...

Paul

0 Kudos
HBBC
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, first IP in previous message is a typo should read

0 Kudos
Jae_Ellers
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

While this is a fun exercise and all you shoud be able to completely recreate and patch an ESX server in 1 - 1.5 hrs, even manually. To me that's a better use of time when you're dealing with a situation that will never occur again.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- http://blog.mr-vm.com http://www.vmprofessional.com -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
0 Kudos
HBBC
Contributor
Contributor

I agree that it isn't an idea way to spend the time, but I've learnt a great deal whilst doing it.

The main thing I'm interested in is, how NOT to break it next time. I'll obviously be more careful with the keyboard, but I've fundamentally not been understanding how some of the routing side of things works but have a much better grasp of it now.

I have now conceded that a rebuild is best way forward simply becuase i've made so many changes / attempts, it'd never be useful as I'd never be able to recreate what I'd done.

Not been a complete waste of time though (and I did need to properly document the build process from RDP too anyway although that's not going as smoothly as first time around either...

Paul

0 Kudos