VMware Cloud Community
bipsen
Contributor
Contributor

Entering maintenance mode doesn't migrate virtual machines ?

Hi

I have a setup with 4 VMware ESX 3.5 and VC2.5 on another host. - When I was running with only 3 ESX hosts, I had no prolbems when entering maintenance mode - vhosts were migrated off to the other hosts, and everything worked well.

After I added server number 4, I have problems with maintenance mode.... But only on the fourth server ? NTP has been configures exactly as on the other 3 servers, but for some wierd reason hosts are not migrated off this server when I want to put it in maintenance mode...

VC just says "Entering maintenance mode", ans keeps staying on 2% in the progress bar... I can migrate the virtual hosts off to the other ESX hosts in the cluster - but it doesn't happen automatically when I enter maintenance mode (as on the other 3 servers).

Any hints on what could be the issue ?

Regards

Brian

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

As I understand it VMs willing be migrated off a host going to into maitenance mode if it is a member of a DRS cluster in Fully Automated mode - so are all machines part of a DRS cluster?

If you find this or any other answer useful please cosnider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
bipsen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

All 4 ESX servers are part of the same DRS cluster - that is why it puzzles me, that the VM's doesn't migrate of server 4 automatically, when it is put into maintenance mode ... because it works fine on the other 3 hosts...

Could it have something to do with the license file ?? The 3 ESX servers and VC license ecists in one .LIC file - the 4th server has a seperate .LIC, that is located in the same directory (C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware License Server\Licenses), which has been configured according to KB Article 7252734

Regards

Brian

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I do not think the license file should cause a problem since you were able to add the esx server to your VC inventory - but just confirm and check the license in VC - also can you manually vmotion the vms form the fourth host to one of the other hosts? Because if there is something in the VM or host configuration preventing the vmotion then DRS will not automatically evacuate your host -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
bipsen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Looking af the license configuration for the fourth host indicates, that the license for DRS and Vmotion is present (for the required number of CPU's).

I can migrate/vmotion the VM's manually to another host without problems - that is why I'm puzzled about this issue.....

Regards

/Brian

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

what version of ESX are you using? Are all four host running the same update version??

I am pretty certain that the automatic migration on entering maintenance mode was removed in U2, there is a post some where on the forums where VMware stated that it was by design not accident.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
THP
Contributor
Contributor

We found something similar because we had DRS set as partially automated - when going into maintenance mode we discovered that it would generate a load of DRS recommendations but not actually move anything until we had accepted the recommendations.

Once the recommendations had been accepted vmotions tok place and the server finally entered maintenance mode for patching.

0 Kudos