VMware Cloud Community
blackride
Contributor
Contributor

Enabling SMP

All, For some reason when I try to change fom 1 CPU to 2 CPU's, its greyed out. And , Yes the machine is off when I try to change this.

Is there some way to enable SMP on the VM Host Server?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
psharpley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What version of VI3 do you have ( starter doesn't support virtual SMP ) and is the host licensed for correctly ?

blackride
Contributor
Contributor

This is in our new 3.0.2 environment. I was told it was licensed for it but I did not handle the purchase.

0 Kudos
psharpley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So do you have VirtualCentre and license server installed? If so, are you using 'served' licenses from this and enabled this on the host. Additional features should be checked after this - I think it says 'Standard' license to enable such things as DRS/HA etc.

0 Kudos
blackride
Contributor
Contributor

I know we have a enterprise license. Shouldn't this be included?

0 Kudos
psharpley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, it's included in the purchase but you have to redeem and install the license file onto the license server. I guess something is OK up to this point as you've been able to power-on the VM;-) Then modify the ESX host / license option to get (this) license file from the license file server. Then you enable features that you want to grant to this host (e.g vSMP).

What does the host say about where you are getting the ESX license from (could be host based or server based - usually the VC server)? Can you provide a screen scrape of the Configuration / Licenses page?

0 Kudos
crazex
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you check you license configuration, Configuration -> Licensed Features, do you see Up to 4-way virutal SMP? If you don't see this, than your license file was either not generated properly from the VMware site, or you missed a step when you setup your host. You can click the Edit button on the Configuration page, and make changes. Make sure you have it checked off as ESX Standard.

-Jon-

-Jon- VMware Certified Professional
0 Kudos
blackride
Contributor
Contributor

All the sudden it started to work. Just out of the blue..... I will keep looking into why that happened but for now it's working.

Thanks for everyones help!

0 Kudos