VMware Cloud Community
rogerscuall
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Enabling NetFlow on Virtual Switch

I followed the steps in to

activate the Netlfow on Virtual Switches.

To collect this information I’m using the Netflow Analyzer 7 (NFA7).

The NFA7 has begun to collect the information about the traffic. But I don’t

know which interface is which, because the names of the interfaces are generic Ifindex1-ifindex6.

I don’t know either why I see 6 interfaces. I already configure the SNMP

community in the NFA7, with these parameters NFA7 usually recognize the name of

the interfaces and devices, for router and switching. I have the default MIBs

for SNMP.

Someone has this setup works?

Best Regard.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RenaudL
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

This is a well-known issue with the 3.5 Netflow exporter. The problem lies in the design of ESX's vSwitches which don't have true/static virtual port identifiers. The exporter therefore uses the portIDs of the relevant ports, but these values unfortunately can't be easily mapped back to the precise user of the virtual port.

This is the main reason the feature is only experimental -- we didn't find a way to design it up to VMware's standards because of the protocol's limitations.

I'd be happy to take any feedback on how to improve it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RenaudL
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

This is a well-known issue with the 3.5 Netflow exporter. The problem lies in the design of ESX's vSwitches which don't have true/static virtual port identifiers. The exporter therefore uses the portIDs of the relevant ports, but these values unfortunately can't be easily mapped back to the precise user of the virtual port.

This is the main reason the feature is only experimental -- we didn't find a way to design it up to VMware's standards because of the protocol's limitations.

I'd be happy to take any feedback on how to improve it.

0 Kudos
rogerscuall
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much for your answer.

0 Kudos